How to remove pin stripes??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove pin stripes???

It worked.

Hey guys, I took them off yesterday, and am I ever glad I did. Was really easy and it looks much better. Took about 20 minutes.

I used a hair dryer to heat the end of the stripe, then lift it with my fingernail. If I didn't heat it, it just kept breaking. Once I got it started, it was easy. You just have to make sure you pull perpendicular to the surface, or the sticky adhesive crap will stick to the paint. It helped to hold the hair dryer there as I was pulling, didn't leave as much adhesive behind. What little adhesive that was left, I just rubbed off with my finger, or thought later that I could have also used a pencil eraser. There wasn't much to it.

As far as a difference in the paint, there is, just noticably. Looks the other paint is not faded, but the clear coat is alot shinier under the pinstripe. I will wax the truck today, and I am sure that will make it unnoticable - I don't think the previous owner ever waxed it. You really have to look hard to see where the stripe was.

Overall, alot easier than I had expected. I actually removed the dealer sticker as well, it was not as easy. It basically came off in about a billion frickin pieces, left all the adhesive behind, no matter how much I heated it.
But a little WD-40 on a cloth wiped the adhesive right off(is there anything that stuff can't do??), then just wiped the area clean.

Thuck looks much better, nothing on it but the original Ford logo and the Explorer XLT logo. Looks much neater. For some reason the paint looks that much better too, looks much cleaner.

Thanks for the advice guys...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Waxed it today, and I can't even tell where the stripes were. Really glad I did it.

However, I will never use Mother's Caranuba wax again. Accidentally got some on the door handles, turned them white, and would not wipe off(except with WD-40 - see previous post). And also, the wax seemed to highlight every single imperfection and stone chip in the paint. Any where that there was a chip, the wax stayed in, and stayed white, which on a dark vehicle, doesn't look too good.
The solution: I spent about 3 hours with a frickin Q-tip "buffing" the chips to get the wax out. Also had to take the Q-tip around all the mouldings, etc to get rid of the white lines.

I know you all are fans of Zaino's, but does anyone know of any poorman's wax that works better than the aforementioned? Would like to get the Zaino's, but the kids like to eat, so I will have to try something else less expensive for now.

Mine are gone too

I have an EB so you can imagine getting those stripes off and the emblem Eddie Bauer off of it... the body shop did it and when I asked them how they told me the secret...

they always use a hot glue gun (without the glue stick of course).... they say it's better than a hot air gun (the heat is less likely to be spread out over the surface) you can use it in just the area you need it.... they hold it 4 -5 inches away... and peel....most of the sticky residue comes off quickly and is easily buffed away.... they also use it to repair scratches... and remove old bumper stickers... it's also very cheap to replace....cheaper than a hot air gun

you can't tell I ever had pinstripes on my truck at all nor did the paint come out faded or look newer underneath

Karol

Since it's a Sat night and I'm home w/ a sinus infection and all my college buds are out boozin I decided to give it a try. I turned up the heat in our garage and my roommate has a great hair dryer. (She'll kill me if she knew what I used it for.) Well I go them off. I used some Spray 9 to get whatever remaining glue there was. Man ! It looks SO MUCH CLEANER! I hated those damm stripes since the day my pops handed down the old explorer to me.

KillerXLT,

Looks alot better, doesn't it!! Now when I see an explorer on this site with pinstripes, I cringe. I know some people like them, but if they could see before and afters(didn't take any, sorry), they may change their mind.

Glad someone else has seen the difference and liked it.

Peace.

Your in luck! I took before and after pics b/c I know how much everyone loves the pics! I'm going to download the digi pics into my friends pc sometime this week and post them here.

seen my sig?

Pin Stripes

Go to a local sign shop, if they do any work with vinyl (banners, box signs) they have a chemical remover that will take all the stripes off along with the sticky stuff. worked for me!! good luck

stripes

I have done this on a few cars and it worked out good. The key is to have the vehicle warm, like after sitting in the hot sun. A hair dryer works well too. GOO GONE or WD40 will take off the residue. That pad that is supposed to take them off, was a waste of money in my opinion. But like imacdn says the important part is to keep it warm/hot.

Back