• Register Today It's free!

Pin Stripes

Mr. MuD

Reaction score
City, State
Clawson, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91' XLT
I was wondering if anyone knew how i could make my BLACK 91' Explorer look better. I took the ugly pinstripes off and of course the paint is more glossy and cleaner where the stripes where. Anyone know a good product to clean the rest of my car so you cant see the pin striping marks as well? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here is an idea, :) go and do some wheeling in extremely thick brush...then youll have character stripes!

its been three months since I did the same thing...There is currently no solution..At all...Thats why Ive been saving for a new paint job over the last three months..:) Anyway sorry I couldnt help much, but Ive tried everything, the paints too faded to get a good buff so....See ya

Just an Idea!

I myself am not a fan of pin striping either. I thought of removing mine. But chose not to.
What a friend of mine did was removed his because he didn't like it but really hated the marks it left so he reinstalled the pin stripes but this time in a color he choose He was going to use same color (white) then opted for darker (red car, darker red pin stripe) In my opinion in looked better. He bought the pin striping and did it himself.
Since the pin striping was removed and left noticible lines. Why not reinstall in a color you like cheaper than a new paint job.
Just a thought hope it helps.

i did the same when i first got my explorer. why not buff the paint out? lots cheaper than painting, and generally makes the truck look new again. if you need any info, let me know.

I did the same thing(hate pin stripes) and I just put on a good coat of wax and I can't see the lines at all now. I could a little after I waxed it, but now about a month has gone by and I have washed it a few times, can't tell now.

I agree, I think my pinstripes need to go to. Unfortunately, I'd never be able to buff mine out since my 91 is in dire need of paint. Plus, mine's a 'Bauer so I have additional pinstriping around the two-tone paint.

Others might not agree, but I don't care for two-tone paint either, so when I am ready to paint, it's going to be completely blue rather than the current blue/tan. I guess you can say I'm going to un-Eddie the exterior.

What Should I Use...?

So what kind of wax should I use to try and make the paint look as one color? :)

Back