how to remove rotors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to remove rotors

If you're going after it and going to replace a bunch of stuff, maybe just hack it off with a Dremel. Would be a good excuse/opportunity to replace the hubs with a manual set :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The very first time I took the rotors off I managed to turn the 2 3/8" nut with the keeper in there.. Needless to say, I had to buy a new nut...

When I'm at a junk yard and I'm trying to pull the rotor off (e.g. I'm pulling a front axle shaft) I use a punch/hammer to get the big nut to barely move..

Once I get it to barely move so the keeper will wiggle I use a fine pick or sometimes a razor blade to grab and pull the keeper out. Basically I try to grab the keeper and kinda flip/yank/etc the keeper. After a few tries of that it moves out of the hole enough that I can pull it out.

Also, spraying carb cleaner onto/around the keeper gets rid of some of the grease etc so the keeper will move easier.

~Mark

(dead link)

So, it wouldn't tap with a screw...the drill bit idea did not work; I basically took a 3ft breaker bar and decided I would get it off only to make the 2 3/8 piece of crap socket I got from Advance warp so that now it wiggles on the axle nut...

It's all still on...I've decided that I will spin that nut off or give up and take it to a shop and I hate to give up...I don't understand, usually, there is nothing I can't break or get off with my breaker bar (it's a 3ft piece of moly steel). I need to see if I can find a REAL 2 3/8 or take an impact to it before I strip the axle nut (which I don't understand because it would take no drilling to it).

Tomorrow, I'll borrow my brother's dremel and if that doesn't work it will go to a shop that has better tools than me.

I've cut, sliced and smashed my hands enough times in the last two days that I deserve a medal...by the way, the razor blade tips broke in there as well. I could shine the flashlight in there good enough to see where I needed to center the piece of blasphemous bad words but it wouldn't come out and I broke all the picks yesterday so I have nubs now that I tried to use.

If you want to get rid of that nightmare once and for all, cut the nut off, and get all the hardware from a manual hub truck at the junkyard. The manual hubs are much more reliable, and as I said, the double nut system is much better than whatever crap that is for auto hubs.

If you want to get rid of that nightmare once and for all, cut the nut off, and get all the hardware from a manual hub truck at the junkyard. The manual hubs are much more reliable, and as I said, the double nut system is much better than whatever crap that is for auto hubs.

2stroke - I'm with you! I have an 85 Bronco II that has never given me a minute's trouble with auto hubs (it is manual selection).

Before I decide to put manuals on the Explorer and I am pretty darn sure that's where I'm headed just got to see if I got enough cash for that, I need to research the push button and make sure it doesn't cause me issues with electronics converting to manual. That is one area that I am absolutely no good at and won't even attempt wiring crap.

I so want to go outside and punch that hub! But, my hands are too sore!

From researching auto to manual hubs...I wonder if this will work...gonna try it tomorrow before I begin cutting but if it doesnt work, screw it!

This comment was added by Bronc from our forum:
just recently swapped my Dana 35 over to the Jeep manual hubs. All went well and was fairly easy, following the few write-ups in the tech pages. One thing I thought I would point out is how to remove the little wedge. It says to use a magnet to pull it out. That worked for one side, but the other was stuck in there. After a lot of screwing around, I decided to drive it through and if it ruined the bearing then fine. After I did that, I removed the spindle nut and found that the channel the wedge is in goes back further and is designed to have the wedge driven through to remove the nut. Then the wedge can be removed easily once the nut is off. Much easier than fooling around with a magnet.

Auto to manual, all you do is change the hubs & retaining nuts. Nothing else has to be done. You can keep the electronic 4x4 push-button, that only operates the transfer case. The automatic hubs engage when the axle shaft starts rotating, they're purely mechanical. Once you throw auto hubs on there, you have to lock them then you can push the 4x4 electronic button.

Pics coming; all you do is drive that keeper through...good grief! It is MADE for this.

Ok, I don't have any racings in my current bearings - when I go buy the new sets, I have a wheel bearing and a racing - where does the racing go? No video I've seen shows any racings being reassembled into the rotor or coming off the old rotor?

It helps if you read; the rotors come with racings so the racings in the bearing sets are paper weights.

Here is a pic of the stupid keeper slot (it is actually made to push right on through - hey, it doesn't hurt to try the magnet trick as it worked for me this time as I had to take it all back apart and tighten the axle nut a little more - a little play when I put the wheel on). Seems like I may have to do it again, but will see tomorrow. I am tired and nasty from all that grease. Good news, it did NOT beat me! Will do the driver side tomorrow after work.

Now that I've done it and barring nothing comes apart (the cam lock assembly springs came off on the 2nd go round of putting it back together - figured that out) this is probably an hour job for me (maybe a little more since I'm putting in new wheel bearings and cleaning up the caliper pins, etc.).
(dead link)

Well, it's all done. Saved me about $200 & yes, I am ordering a set of manual hubs from Summit and the conversion kit so that will be done sooner than later.

Now that I've done it, I can knock it out in about an hour if I'm not changing out bearings and calipers - shoot, to put manual hubs on won't take 30 minutes and most of that will be reading the great write ups you guys have here.

Thanks for all of your help, write-ups and putting up with my temper and aimless rambling writings while trying to figure it out.

Thanks for all of your help, write-ups and putting up with my temper and aimless rambling writings while trying to figure it out.

I find writing it out, and getting little hints along the way is the best way to full think about a problem.

Back