How To: Remove the dash from a 2nd Gen! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Remove the dash from a 2nd Gen!

Post number 55 has been selected as best answered.

Great thread Ryan, well done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used your write up about removing the dash in a 2nd gen, and it helped greatly. But my problem is that i cannot find the forum where someone described how to install this 2nd gen dash into a older vehicle. I need to know where to make the new mounts and measurments and such. Anyone looking at this thread know where the other thread about installing it in a older vehicle is? any help would be appreciated.

nice write up

Once you have the shaft and cable un-done, you will see 1 last large wiring connector that needs to be unplugged. It is held together by a single 10mm bolt.

If you have done it correctly, it will pull away from the firewall.

Can anyone help me with this plug, i am putting the wiring from a 95 EX into my 85 BII. I need to know what color wire goes to what. The only wires i want to keep from this harness are like the speakers, the wires to the rear tail lights, the fuel pump and power seat wires....

Basically does anyone have the diagram for what wire goes to what coming off this plug?

Doing the engine and wiring swap this weekend, so the sooner the better.

That's the main dash connector. You should buy a DVD that covers the wiring for the vehicles that you are swapping parts to and from. Those are relatively cheap, and they all include the wiring information.

2nd gen dash in 1st gen ranger

I have a 1990 ford ranger xlt with a 6 inch drop al the way around, i was wondering if anybody out there know how to take the dash out of a 95-99 model ranger and install it in a 89-92 model ranger?

4.0 swap

i also have a 4.0 v6 from a 1997 ford explorer, which i am installing in the same truck which is a 2.3 5 speed, what all is necessary to do this?

Someone told me that I'd have to remove the seats in my 97 ford ranger before removing the dash (I have to replace the heater core). Does anyone know if it's required or just recommended?

Pull the seats, they will give you a lot more room, and they only take 1-15 minutes to get out. Take your time with the two floor seat belt bolts, those can become stripped. Spray the threads first, they come out under the truck.

I'm guessing this would be similar to a 2003 Ranger, correct?

I seem to have the passenger side removed, but the drivers side is still hung up.

I need to remove that large wiring connector that I have to undscrew from the hood, that I understand.

However, how do I get the dark OVER the wheel, doesn't look like it's gonna clear. The column is down (removed the four nuts) and is resting on the drivers seat at the moment. I wont be able to access it until Thursday afternoon, but I need to know what the issue is.

I just need it off so I can paint it. The plastic shield thing (No idea what it's for) that was bolted to the frame with the large bolts isn't needed for me, I will have to remove the dash from it to paint anyways.

Pull the front seats and console first, those are in the way. The steering column doesn't have to come out, it just adds weight to the whole thing.

No centerconsole in there, all I had was a tiny cupholder piece, which I already pulled.

As for the seats, they aren't coming off, the bolts are stripped it looks like from the last guy, and they are NOT coming out. :/

I'm just going to wrap and cover everything and paint it inside, at this point I don't have time to do much of anything else. Thanks though.

Even if I pulled the seats, the hole doesn't seem like it would clear the wheel, not even close.

The plastic thing I mentioned is actually behind the dash, not sure what it was called though, but it isn't the console.

EDIT-Hey, K-town?! Not too far from me man, you going to layd out at the park next month?

The seats do have bolts(4) from the tracks up into the seats, if you can get to them. I've never looked at them in the truck, but an idea.

I've got tons to do to get my two painted, and my LSC a new suspension. If my shoulder gets better that is.

you tube has about 10 videos on this process now step by step.

Thanks for this!! Much appreciated write up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98 Explorer V6
Just finished the demo part of the job. Took 8 hours with breaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLewFz9xc4Y&feature=relmfu

You have to watch all the vids in this series for complete job. Man all I have to say is there is a special place in HELL for the mother fing engineers and design guys at ford that created this process for such a simple piece of equipment.
Step 1. Remove dash and steering column
Step 2. Remove Reservoirs for radiator and washer fluid, and heater hoses
Step 3. Remove AC hoses after removing pressurized refrigerant
Step 4. Remove AC/Heater/Fan air box engine side
Step 5 Remove Computer
Step 6 Remove AC/Heater/Fan air box passenger compartment and old heater core

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLewFz9xc4Y&feature=relmfu
Thanks for the How To: Remove the dash from a 2nd Gen! post it got me going.
Thank You Ryan.

Back