Beargap

Reaction score
City, State
Bear Gap, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 XLT
Callsign
WA4THR
Our 2008 Mountaineer driver's side air vent has broken. The vertical fins no longer contact the adjusting knob. How does that vent come off? I tried pulling, but it seems to be attached at the bottom.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I did manage to get the vent assembly off after using a flashlight between my teeth and a mirror. Removing the dash side dress cover is needed, then the vent is held with 3 spring clips on either side and the bottom. You must simultaneously depress 2 of the clips by pressing against the vent housing, and the it will slide out. Once removed it was a simple matter with some long-nosed pliers to reposition pins on the vertical louvers back into the holes in the housing and reconnect the adjusting lever to the hinge point. The assembly is back in the vehicle and works properly now.

=Vic=

clarification needed on vent operation

i have a 2006 EB and after sitting in a '10 noticed my circular vents weren't working in the same fashion as this newer one. BOTH my driver and passenger ONLY sweep from center (full opened) to left (closed). which is unless on the driver's side- it goes from my arm to the window. neither go up or down.
ford lists 1 p/n. and that same p/n is used for '06 and '10.
did you notice a revision or operation change with the replacement part you got? costs?
tia,
parker
STL

i have a 2006 EB and after sitting in a '10 noticed my circular vents weren't working in the same fashion as this newer one. BOTH my driver and passenger ONLY sweep from center (full opened) to left (closed). which is unless on the driver's side- it goes from my arm to the window. neither go up or down.
did you notice a revision or operation change with the replacement part you got? costs?
tia,
parker
STL

That's actually one of the first things I noticed when I bought my 08 xlt. Found it odd that it would stop in the center. I actually removed it to see if it was on wrong by rotating it. Didn't work lol

tia,
parker
STL

That's actually one of the first things I noticed when I bought my 08 xlt. Found it odd that it would stop in the center. I actually removed it to see if it was on wrong by rotating it. Didn't work lol

So.. is the driver side vent on upside down or what??

No, the blasted designers made just the one part for both sides, useless to redirect further to the center of the car on the driver side, or more to the window on the passenger side... They should have made it full sweep to either side, but too late now...

Is there any after market replacement that will work?

Back