How to replace multifunction (turn signal) switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace multifunction (turn signal) switch

flainn

Reaction score
City, State
Los Lunas, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi folks,

Seasoned Ford owner but new to Explorers ... just got a '91 Explorer last week.

The brake lights don't work. Only the third brake light is working. I have tested the brake pedal switch; it is fine.

The turn signal stalk is completely broken off. There is just a hole there. The wiring diagram and other things I've found indicate that the brake light wiring runs through the multifunction switch, so I'm planning to replace it.

I already got a switch on eBay for $20. It should be here in a few days. I'm just wondering, does anyone have tips for how to take apart the steering column so I can replace that switch? Do I have to remove the steering wheel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I recall correctly you have to pull the steering wheel, remove the two plastic halves around the steering column and then you can replace the switch.

Ok. I'll plan on renting a puller, I suppose. Thanks.

I do not remember having to pull the steering wheel to pull the plastic. Once the plastic is off IIRC its only 2 screws to pull the switch.

~Mark

Gentlemen, I can confirm for you several things.

First, it is certainly possible to remove the plastic surrounding the steering wheel, and the turn signal switch, without removing the steering wheel itself from the column. I did have to cut the trim ring closest to the steering wheel (I used a pair of dykes to clip it at the tilt adjustment lever, then used electrical tape to hold it back together when I was done).

Second, replacing the turn signal switch is easy. Most of the work involved is getting to the switch, but that's not difficult.

Third, replacing that switch indeed did fix the brake lights. So if your brake lights don't work, and your brake light switch tests fine, suspect your turn signal switch next.

Thanks for the help! I'm liking my "new" Explorer more all the time.

Back