• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

How To: Replace Multifunction Switch

LoKo498

Reaction score
City, State
J.C.,N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Thx a lot, this def helped me out.
It was a PITA with the wires on the back of the switch but managed to get it off.
Took about 30min or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Thx a lot, this def helped me out.
It was a PITA with the wires on the back of the switch but managed to get it off.
Took about 30min or so.

You're welcome!! :):thumbsup:

LoKo498

Reaction score
City, State
J.C.,N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hey I do have 2 corrections while I was doing this, a 9/32 socket was needed for the lower dash panel instead of the 7mm as written.
Also the botton colum u showed a "hidden" screw, its actually suposed to be screwed to the top colum.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
I just write 'em up the way my Ex is. :thumbsup:

esclamada

Reaction score
City, State
KCMO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer AWD V8
I just did this with my Mounty since it's acting weird lately, the wiper gets activated everytime the turn signals are on. Replacement part was $60 from rockauto. I think there are differences in some models. It's really a quick job around 30mins or less.

I did not even have to remove the upper shroud completely since there's a rubber cover attached to it that will take some time to take off. Also I did not take out the lower trim panel.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Nice job on the fix. :D:thumbsup:

HiImBrian

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have an extra multifunction switch for sale if anyone needs one. Pulled it from a parts explorer.

20EddieBauer02

Reaction score
City, State
Buckhannon,WVa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer Exlorer
Just did this to mine as well, the wipers would randomly come on, got mine from rock auto, easy fix and the ghost wiper is gone.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Just did this to mine as well, the wipers would randomly come on, got mine from rock auto, easy fix and the ghost wiper is gone.

Nice job on the fix :biggthump

Fixer upper 04

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
MFS replacement success!

Thanks for the pictures and instructions. I did this with my son and it worked just as advertised. Only took 1 hour for us novices to complete!

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Thanks for the pictures and instructions. I did this with my son and it worked just as advertised. Only took 1 hour for us novices to complete!

Glad I could help out. :thumbsup:

cowboy45

Reaction score
City, State
Nogales, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer 4.0 xlt 4x4
Do I have a bad multifuntion sw?

Hello to all,

Have a question. I've been having issues with my turn signals. Sometimes they blink sometimes they just stay lite. Also sometimes if I depress the hazrd switch it get hard to press it back to the off position. Does this mean that I need to replace my multifuntion switch?

BTW I replaced my ac heater door actuator following your post! Thanks It was very helpfull!
:thumbsup:

cowboy45

Reaction score
City, State
Nogales, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer 4.0 xlt 4x4
Do I have a bad multifuntion sw?

Well the flasher relay fixed my problem. A 10 min fix with a 14.99 flasher relay from autozone!

:thumbsup:

Honestmase

Reaction score
City, State
Miami FL 33157
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Great Post! I had a right rear tail light out, stop & turn. Bought the multi switch but after opening the steering wheel cover, I found a broken wire on the harness connector. I soldered it back, and still installed the new switch. I sold the used switch on eBay for good money as it was only 2 years old.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Great Post! I had a right rear tail light out, stop & turn. Bought the multi switch but after opening the steering wheel cover, I found a broken wire on the harness connector. I soldered it back, and still installed the new switch. I sold the used switch on eBay for good money as it was only 2 years old.

Thank you. Nice job on the fix. :biggthump

Keno Biebrich

Reaction score
City, State
Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT 4x4Utah
gracias

gracias por tu informacion

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4

waldrop1728

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Worked like a charm

Thread is old and I couldn't see any pictures but was able to figure out how to replace boot based on the descriptions including the simpler way to remove O/D switch wire. Thanks to all!

Panda1+

Reaction score
City, State
Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4WD XLT
MFS replacement

Thanks for the write up and the pics! I hafta do this job today..so this is great timing! Thank you for your service...Fellow vet...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Onuma

Reaction score
City, State
Northern VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer XLT
Rondo: Thanks for the write-up!

I'll be replacing the MFS very soon (what a purely coincidental acryonym for how I feel about this thing), as it has been acting up lately and was part of the reason my X failed safety inspection this month.