• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How To: Replace Multifunction Switch

synyster

Reaction score
City, State
Hammond IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited V8
did you pic up the switch from ford? and how much did it cost? Mine is doing a whole bunch of waky things and it's about time i replace it before i have to replace other things.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4

bearhuntr

Reaction score
City, State
Kenai Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
BigRondo,

I cannot begin tell you how much I appreciate the detailed step-by-step AND the humor! Man am I appreciative of this site! I find myself with the same task at hand and (low and behold) this jumps up on my google search! They do say that "timing is everything,"eh? :)

Thanks again,
Mark in Alaska

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
You are welcome sir. :thumbsup:

Good luck with the fix and keep us updated!! :salute:

bearhuntr

Reaction score
City, State
Kenai Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
Update...

Finally was able to go to the vehicle and replace the Multifunction...
BigRondo's graphic pictorial made this project a snap, plain and simple! Of course, since it was an outside job, and that in Alaska, I chose hot coffee over the beer:) Total elapsed time to do the job: 35 minutes. Without the "tutorial"...who knows.

Thanks again BigRondo! As I'm pressing the keys on this 'puter, I'm tipping a beer to you!

Best,
Mark in Alaska

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Finally was able to go to the vehicle and replace the Multifunction...
BigRondo's graphic pictorial made this project a snap, plain and simple! Of course, since it was an outside job, and that in Alaska, I chose hot coffee over the beer:) Total elapsed time to do the job: 35 minutes. Without the "tutorial"...who knows.

Thanks again BigRondo! As I'm pressing the keys on this 'puter, I'm tipping a beer to you!

Best,
Mark in Alaska

Glad I could help out! Happy new year. :party:

nvrenufedge

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Sweet!!! Gonna have to get it switched out asap. I'll let ya know when I do. Very nice write-up!

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Sweet!!! Gonna have to get it switched out asap. I'll let ya know when I do. Very nice write-up!

Good luck with the fix. It is a pretty easy job. Keep us posted. :biggthump

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
Rondo, thanks for creating another awesome write up! I need to do this fix to my Ex and this will be my reference. Thanks again!

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Rondo, thanks for creating another awesome write up! I need to do this fix to my Ex and this will be my reference. Thanks again!

Hope the fix goes well Nate. Let me know if you have any questions. ;)

nvrenufedge

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
One quick question, when you're turn sugnals wouldn't work, did your emergency flashers work? I told my wife to turn on the flashers next time the signals wouldn't work and she said the flashers still worked. Is it still the multifunction switch?

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
One quick question, when you're turn sugnals wouldn't work, did your emergency flashers work? I told my wife to turn on the flashers next time the signals wouldn't work and she said the flashers still worked. Is it still the multifunction switch?

Don't know about that. I replaced my MFS when I was troubleshooting the wipers not turning off. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

F15E_WSO

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport
nvrenufedge,
I had some tail-light and turns signal issues last summer that were caused by the extremely short wiring harness getting stressed when the tilt wheel was lowered (by my wife). My point is the problem was there ONLY when she drove, it was intermittent. I cracked open the column, tried to eek out an extra mm of wiring harness slack and used some zip strips in there to secure the whole thing together (MFS to wiring harness). I also told her not to tilt the wheel so far down--pulls on wiring harness.

Don't know if this is related but it was a very ODD fix to a tail light/turn signal problem in the rear.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Good call F15E_WSO. :thumbsup: I didn't think of that. I have seen a few posts about it.

nvrenufedge

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
The wipers work fine. As far as the tilt, I'm pretty sure she doesn't tilt it down when she drives but I'll ask. The problem I'm having is every so often the turn signals just stay lit when used. I've checked all the bulbs and they are good. Anyone have that issue?

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
The wipers work fine. As far as the tilt, I'm pretty sure she doesn't tilt it down when she drives but I'll ask. The problem I'm having is every so often the turn signals just stay lit when used. I've checked all the bulbs and they are good. Anyone have that issue?

How about the turn signal flasher relay?

nvrenufedge

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
How about the turn signal flasher relay?

Thats what I originaly thought of, have to try that and see. Trial and error I guess.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Thats what I originaly thought of, have to try that and see. Trial and error I guess.

Yup, it's all trial and error. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

forcemac

Reaction score
Replaced my 02 Mountaineer multifunction switch today....with this guide...piece of cake.

On the mountaineer, I had screws instead of sockets to take the bottom panel off, and the screw holding the multifunction switch in, was 7/32" and not 7mm.