Turn signal - multifunction switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turn signal - multifunction switch

snout_alert

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
So the turn signals just stopped working the other day. 2 new (well, junk yard) multifunction switches later - same result. All other functions on the switch work fine. Bulbs are all checked and hazards/brake lights work fine. But no turn signals. Nothing. The next thing to check would seem to be the electrical circuits? However I have no information on what goes where. Is it possible that it's the wires going to the MFS as opposed to the MFS itself?

Also if anyone needs an MFS for a 91 Explorer I have one available :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flashers?

Do you mean the hazards? They work just fine, which leads me to believe that the bulbs and power to those lights are ok.

No, that's the thing, no clicking, no nothing. I do have a wiring diagram from Autozone courtesy of another post on this site.

I could have sworn the explorer had two flashers.. One for the turn signals and one for the hazards... If that really is true (I'm pretty sure) then you could loose the flasher for turn signals and still have hazards.

~Mark

A few years ago I had the same problem....the flasher and hazard was remain ever switch on and the solution was change the flasher, located in the fussible box...that was all !!......all correct now !!

i have a 94 x and it has two flashers...my signals weren't working either but my hazards were...so i took the hazard flasher out and put it where the turn signal one is and the turn signals work fine..i just did it a couple of weeks ago

The 91 has a big circular fuse that handles the turn signal AND hazard flashers. As the hazards are working (and the hazard flashers) I'm guessing this fuse is OK. The fuse for the turn signals themselves also looks fine and I've switched it out.... but will do it again. This is so frustrating as I don't want to have to spend $$$ to take this car and get it fixed as I bought it for nearly nothing! I do need the indicators to work though, Atlanta traffic is crazy and people need all the notice I can give them that I'm lumbering over into a different lane.
Any other suggestions? I appreciate all the help I've got so far.

According to this diagram the hazards use a different flasher than the turn signal.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d800ba9cf.gif

However, normally when a flasher goes the lights just stay on instead of flash. From what I understand your not getting any lights when you turn on the signal.

I'd starting following the wires backwards.. Check the Light Blue wire going into the multi function switch. My guess is that you don't have power there which means no power to the multi function switch. The Purple/Orange wire by the fues box is the power to the turn signal flasher. If that doesn't have power Check the fuse box again (maybe a contact is bad if the fuse is good)

~Mark

Back