how to tell which axle you have.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to tell which axle you have....

llamaking122

Reaction score
City, State
Worthington, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer V8
the door on my car has been replaced and it has the wrong VIN# sticker so i dont have the axle code or anything. how do i go about testing which axle i have

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should be a tag on the rear end itself held on by one of the cover bolts. If its still there it most likely is the correct one for that rear end. You will see a series of numbers - look for 3.27, 3.55 or 3.73. These are the most common gear ratios for the explorer. If you see an "L" near these numbers, it has a traction lock differential (posi).

The other way to tell, is mark the drivshaft in relation to the axle housing, rotate the tire one revolution and count the number of rotations of the drive shaft. You can also remove the diff cover and the ratio will be stamped in the ring gear. This gets messy though.

ok so another question. under HARD acceleration my battery light flutters and one it starts fluttering it doesnt stop until i bring it down too low RPMS then it is a solid light. but im getting good voltage. my belt is not in such good condition tho its very warn could that be it?

Could be the belt slipping under a heavy load. You're tensioner could also be weak. While it's idling, watch the belt tensioner. Is it "fluttering"/"bouncing"? If it is, you need a new tensioner, as well as a new belt. If not, then just try a new belt.

Could be the belt slipping under a heavy load. You're tensioner could also be weak. While it's idling, watch the belt tensioner. Is it "fluttering"/"bouncing"? If it is, you need a new tensioner, as well as a new belt. If not, then just try a new belt.

ok my belt decided to shred a couple ribs so i though it was prolly the tensioner. so im replace the belt again for now. and then tensioner when i do water pump(leaking) and power steering pump(pully is squeeking)

rear end tag

Can anyone tell me what kind of rear end I have. The tag says

S622 D

3 27 88 3K08

you have a 3.27.... hence the 3 27 in your axle tag

edit: Open diff... you didn't read the second post in this thread did you?

Do you know if it is limited slip???

Do you know if it is limited slip???

No it is not. It is an open rear. 8.8" Ring Gear 3.27 ratio. If it was a limited slip, it would show 3L27 on the tag.

Back