How Tough are Ring and Pinion to change out ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Tough are Ring and Pinion to change out ?

KLJ777

Reaction score
City, State
Green Lane , PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I have a 91 with Stock Dana 35, Ford 8.8. want to go to 4:56's I run 32's but 33's will be coming. If it is REALLY tough, anyone no a good shop near Allentown PA?
THANKS! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey. gears can be a PITA if you have never done them before. To do it properly you need a dial indicator, and its easier if you have a press and bearing splitter attatchments. I have been building diffs for years and gears can take me from 3 to 6 hours depending on how far off the clearances are. I would suggest that you find a shop locally to do this for you. Usually the best place to look is a shop that deals with 4x4s or classic cars as they are do this stuff more often.

Just purchasing the tools needed for the job will often set you back as much as the labor for an install by a pro. The bearing tool runs between $175 and $350 depending on where you find it for sale (used to pull the carrier bearings off a few times as you figure out shims). The dial indicator and stand can be had reasonably from Enco or even Harbor Freight, but they will set you back at least $30 for a cheap set and as much as $100 for good stuff.

Then, you need a good inch-pound dial-type torque wrench to set pre-load, a good foot-pound torque wrench for ring gear bolts, carrier bearing shell bolts, pinion nut, etc. That, plus the regular hand tools, and air is a plus (I don't know how else to seat the crush collar for the pre-load -- it can be done manually, but it takes some effort and some means to hold against that force.)

In my area, I've found the guy that all the shops use. He works reasonably (like $100 an axle!). There is likely one like him in every community somewhere. Just find the dude by asking a bunch of local shops where they take their stuff when they need it done.

Otherwise, if you are set on doing the job yourself, it is not rocket science. Just get a good manual (like the one you can download for free from Yukon's site -- GREAT manual) follow directions and TAKE YOUR TIME to get it right. Most guys that get into trouble do so because they just get tired of trying to get all the shims right and plain give up before it is correct. I've seen where you can hit every shim right the first time and have an axle built in 1 hour and I've also seen where it takes 2 days. Sometimes it comes down to luck of the draw.

^ pretty much sums it up. Plan on at least double the time for the first ones and they will get easier the more you do. As glfredrick said, the more tools you have the quicker and easier the job will be.

I just finished (like yesterday) my first re-gear. I have a lot of tools, borrowed the rest (dial indicator, in-lb torque wrench, micrometer) and I have quite a bit of mechanical experience. Like the guys above have said, it can be done but YOU HAVE TO BE PATIENT.

The Yukon manual is a good read, there is a good link on here to a Mustang site where a guy did a how-to that is great. There is a TON of info online. If you have the tools, just take your time and you'll eventually get it right.

I asked a lot of questions, annoyed some people I am sure, but my pattern ended up looking great and now I just gotta break 'em in and see if they hold up and are quiet.

The shops in my area charge a lot to do a re-gear. My buddy got quoted $1900/axle but that included the gears, but considering my gears and install kit were under $400, thats insane.

I did it myself mostly so I can say when this truck is all done, that I did EVERYTHING myself but if you can find a shop to do it for a reasonable price, you'll save a lot of headache if you have never done it or don't have a lot of tools.

Thanks

As always thanks for the replies. Time is my biggest hurdle( well patience too:D) I think it is best I have a shop do it. I found a good one but about 1K per axle. Anybody know of a shop in eastern PA ??

Thanks Again.

1K per axle SHOULD cover the cost of the gears, bearings, install kit, and carrier (if needed), and luchbox locker. Full lockers (like Detroit or ARB) would probably be extra.

Back