Rear Differential - Ring and Pinion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential - Ring and Pinion

mjamesb80

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a whining noise coming from the rear.
From what I've read, it is the ring and pinion that needs replacing.

Auto Shop said it would be about $800 to fix.

My questions for you guys:
Would I save buy purchasing the parts myself?
also
Does the below description sound like the correct kit?

MOTIVE GEAR MASTER KIT -- For ring and pinion with 8.8 in. ring diameter, 1.626 in. pinion diameter, 30 splines, 10 bolts; Includes Timken pinion bearing, pinion seal, Timken carrier bearings, gear marking compound, crush sleeve, pinion nut, brush, Loctite adhesive, cover gasket, ring gear bolts, pinion shims, and carrier shims.
Fit Note: Rear 8.8 in. (10 Bolt)
Product Fit: Direct fit
Quantity Sold: Kit
Fits the following 2002 Ford Explorer submodels:

2002: XLT; 6 Cyl 4.0L;

$119.40

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ring and pinion gears don't really "whine" because their design (being a hypoid spiral bevel gears) eliminates this whine. Typically, a "whine" in the rear will mean a bearing needs to be replaced - which could be a bearing in the differential or wheel bearings. So I think what you need to do is figure out which part (bearing?) needs to be replaced first before order parts. And FWIW, when the bearings in the differential do need to be replaced, they often rather result in a "clunk" as the pinion gear wobbles when you take your foot off of the gas pedal.

Ring and pinion will make noise on the gas and go away when you let off the gas. In my experience most aftermarket ring and pinions are noisey so I wouldn't recommend one. If it is ring and pinion noise it will not affect durability, you could drive 500k miles without issue.

A "singing" gearset which ran quietly previously, and was not damaged by running w/o lubricant, is most often the result of bearings which have allowed the original alignment of the gears to be lost.

Bad bearings sometimes cause enough misalignment to allow the gear tooth faces to become scored; once such damage has happened, those gears will never run quietly again.

imp

That kit in the first post has the bearings in it. Wouldn't you guys think I'd save by purchasing that Kit and paying the shop 3 hours of labor or whatever it may be?

Agreed with swetrid regarding aftermarket ring and pinion sets. I just got the Ford Racing set instead. And yes I would replace all the bearings at the same time. On mines the pinion shaft and pinion bearings got pitted and growled and also had the whine. If you are going to get into it do the whole thing especially since these rear ends are problematic anyways. I did the whole thing and all was quiet. You can order from Summit Racing.

need some help

ok guys got the howl in the rear end and when i put it in to drive it takes a sec to catch the noise does seem to get louder the faster u go so i jacked it up and if you spin one wheel the other spins the other way like normal but if you spin one back and forth its got like 3 or 4 inchs of play befor the other side catchs and makes the same noise as it does when i put it in gear could that be a wore out bearing and would that give me all that slopp and whine thanks in advance for and help

My knowledge on the differential is limited. I can say I had the Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly replaced on the rear wheels and it really helped with some of the noise.
This is how I would differentiate the noises:

Howl when pressing the accelereator = differential issue

Go about 60mph, let off the accelerator, if you hear a growl or even feel slight vibrations = ##Replace Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly
I think the differential will only make noise when pressing the gas.

Back