Howdy from southern AZ

Mesozoic

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mercury Mountaineer
Howdy from southern Arizona!

I'm an avid Ford enthusiast with several late model and classic Mustangs, including an old '79 Bronco, all retrofitted with Ford EFI, EDIS, and one vehicle with a 4R70W controlled by an EEC-V. Needing a family vehicle for roadtrips in snowy, mountainous environments, a '98-01 Explorer/Mountaineer with 4WD, 5.0L, and 4R70W transmission makes a lot of sense! No idea why these vehicles are available for so little money, but not complaining.

Welcome to the forum. The only reason I can think that they are so inexpensive is that once they get higher on the miles people do not want to sink money into them but would rather have a new truck w/payments. Not me, I am quite content with our 00 Ranger 4X4, 99 Sport, & 69 Mustang, well we have one with payments 08 Escape.

To me, this vintage of Explorers/Mountaineers represent the pinnacle of engineering for the 5.0L 302 engine. Complete with not only SEFI, serpentine, roller cam, and improved airflow, but also with EDIS, it really does represent the best it could be. The transmission selection was also a very good one, seeing that I have a built 4R70W in my '71 Mustang that easily handles 500 hp duty. Then, the overall design of the truck itself represents the evolution of several decades of engineering that started with the Ford Bronco. Of course, the comfort and convenience level of these newer machines is far above what our wildest dreams could've hoped for in the old solid axle Broncos!

Welcome from Costa Mesa California! :thumbsup:

Back