HU still turns off at high volumes (second bat. added) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HU still turns off at high volumes (second bat. added)

Saleen_SR71

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 EB 5.0
HU still turns off at high volumes *fixed it*

well like i said... my HU turns off when i go to a certain volume (quite high volume to be specific, like 3/4 volume), but then turns back on... im not totaly sure if its the HU, but i have a feeling it is, either that or the draw from the amps? well was thinking of just adding a cap just for the HU, or something in those lines so that it still gets its power.

i got 2 more decks (panasonic and nakamichi), only problem is if its the deck i need to buy me a new changer, which isnt a problem for the nakamich (already got the changer) , but only for the panasonic because i need to buy one

any other suggestions? im goign to swaping out the deck first, then if it continues doing it then what? could the deck be cliping?

*note* im running a secondary optima yellow top in the rear .5' away from the sub amp connected in parallel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep try swapping decks... It could quite possibly be the deck. Unless its rather sensitive to voltage drops, if you have them? The deck clipping shouldn't shut it down...

Are you using all factory wiring for the deck, I dunno how much difference it could make but you could run a new ground and/or a new power wire for it, if its a "higher amp draw deck"....?

What does your voltage sit at with the two batts, just curious...?

well at turn on the voltage (well i havent metered it) its at the top of the battery sign on the dash, but later on during driving some times it goes to the bottom of the battery (not sure if its because i push it loud some times, but most of the time its there, but some times its not, ill check it out next time...

im pretty sure it even cuts out when its at its peak voltage, ill check that out too.

im not sure if its a high amp draw deck... its a sony CDX-M660 or 770 (dont remember, mostlikely its the 660, or somethingn the 600's)

but im still going to swap the deck today... in fact in a few minutes

from the bat or from the alt? i was going to test the alt, but couldnt seem to get to the +? well i could only find one plug, my guess is the other is a bit harder to get to, battery check is easy...

my DMM is a bit gay i might say, i like the ones i used in school, they were easier to use, plus they didnt have a "select" button to select the secondary use of the selection.(sorta like one of those high tech calculators)

No matter what, you definately need to know what the voltage is doing.

alright pulled some #'s

primary battery:
off:12.6v
on:14.6v

secondary battery:
off:12.64v
on:14.56v

HU harness:
off:12.72v
on:14.4+v
cut out w/ car off: 11.5v (less than half volume)
cut out w/ car on:unknown

going to try a second deck and pull #'s then a third deck.

problem solved... im soo stupid... well i guess ill say what the problem was...

when i had the deck in my other car, i used the speaker wires to run the speakers, then when transfering it over to the explorer, i just taped off the wires, not individually, but the front right pos with the front left pos. and same with the negatives, then same with the rears... so my guess is the deck was thinking it had a load (2 ohms?) and so thats why the power dropped 1.2v at 2/5 volume as opposed to the .2v it does now at 3/4 volume

lol... **** happens. But sounds like you have good voltage!

Decks clip all the time (distortion) whenever you here distortion when at high volumes, it is (99% of the time) your deck clipping. And then there is clipping that goes on that is inaudible to the human ear...

hey, minnesota? where abouts?

lol, If you set it right you wont be able to get into clipping... If I went into clipping w/ my subs in there I'd go deaf!

same here... my doors would blow before they clip, but im not sure about the subs... i think something would break on my car before clipping... then id need a new battery and alternator.

square waves are inevitable, it's the extreme clipping that is audible that we all try to avoid. Saleen, it is awfully hard to blow an average well made speaker with pure power, at "3/4 volume" (as you mentioned in your post) you are most likely sending a clipped signal to your speaks already. Most decks send a clipped signal somewhere after half volume, basically anywhere past the half way point is iffy.

expo5.0 I am originally from Roseville, now I live in the lakeland area.

cool man, i'm in minneapolis now.

yeah, most every signal all of us younger guys are sending our speakers is slightly clipped to completely clipping to hell.

I clip when I burp.... :) :p

Back