sinnistar

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Greetings all
I have a 2003 x 4wd xlt 4.0,
My issue is that i have bad front passenger hubs and told the rear passenger is making some noise too. I had the mechanic put up on the lift and list with a scope while the x was running in 4HI.

1. Called dealership they say to fix the rear i need new bearings pressed in, dont need a new hub...........is that true or do i need to get new bearings and hub for the rear ??

2. what should i buy :
OEM Ford front hubs @ $ 227.32
OEM Ford rear bearing @ 110.00
=or=
Timken front hubs @ 250.00-15% = $ 212.50

Timken rear bearings @ 70.00-15% = $ 59.50
or
Timken rear bearing/hub kit @ 171.00-15%= $ 145.35

Is the OEM ford Part better than Timken or the same ??
I read around the forums but never said which is better to get.
Thanks in advanced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timken are a better product than oem, so I've heard and seeing as they are cheaper I'd go with them. I'd also go the timken rear hub/bearing kit, if I could afford it, just for piece of mind.

Great thanks for the advice lynchy wa, does anyone else agree/disagree ??
any other words of wisdom ??

You can get Ford OEM Front Hubs for $178... search this forum and you'll find the place that sells them. I bought autozone ($140 each) and am sorry I did... both fronts only lasted 3 to 4 months before needing to be replaced. If you're handy, I wouldn't hesitate doing the fronts, they're pretty easy.

I bought Timkin for the rear from Rock Auto. I bought the hub and bearing. I'm going to have a mechanic install them since I've read that the rears are a pain to install (including needing to go to a shop to have the bearing pressed in)

Stock ones are Timken.

look up tousley ford . I got the front OEM one for 170$ shipped .

I just had the rear done at a ford shop. 300$. I didnt want to mess with it( i have all the tools and press and knowledge). Took them only a hour. I did the front myself.

Well I've just learn't something, I must of been thinking of the autozone replacement hub. Thank's for clearing that up guy's.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

sean 99
are the hubs that you have for the 2003 ex??? if so i just sent you a pm.
everyone else...thanks for all the great info....i had a suspicion Timken was the supporlier for motorcraft/oem ford.

on another note, can a faulty hub cause your 4x4 hi and 4x4lo lights to flash randomly once every week or two????

Back