• Register Today It's free!

Where to buy Wheel Hubs

DrumKrazy

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
As there are a plethora of threads on here regarding wheel hubs/bearings, what I really want to know is, where is the best place to buy hubs. Before some of you say "Ford," I understand that that is the optimal choice, but I can't afford that. I don't want complete junk Chinese made parts. I prefer a hub with Timken bearings. Ok, now what are my options?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford online dealer price is $176.62. Includes ABS sensor and new bolts

Rock Auto has Timken SP470200 for $143.79 includes ABS sensor. A member on another thread posted this about the Timken ones

"OK, finally got the bearings and brakes done. Got Timkens with the ABS sensor (from RockAuto this time, can't say enough good things about them). They actually came with new bolts (with the yellow threadlock) which I was not expecting. Came with bolts for the hub/bearing, as well as bolts for the caliper bracket."

Rock Auto also has National 515050 for $169.79 that also includes ABS Sensor and new bolts. That's $8 less than the Ford OE one.

Many of the chain discount auto parts stores sell imported sets that have varying quality and some have had issues. Ebay also has some a cheaper prices, but often of Chinese origin.

You can get Chinese made ones from here for $55.90 but doesn't say about new bolts (ABS sensor is mentioned on Feature Sheet).

http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/p-5176-hub-bearing-hb615054-premium-hub-assembly.aspx

When I do mine I am going to buy the Ford ones as its not much cheaper than the National one from Rock Auto and those that have replaced theirs' with Ford units have usually had no problems.

SKF, National and Timken all make Hub bearing assemblies for the 2002-2005 Ford Explorer. I seem to recall that the National ones are US made bearings. Not sure about the others. You could go to those company websites and search their catalogs for further info.

I just did front and rear Timkens. I noticed that at least one of them was stamped with "Canada."

That quote above was from me. Just be careful with the new caliper bracket bolts (that come with the Timken ABS bearing), I snapped one.

Also, I had originally purchased Timkens from AutoZone, but they didn't come with the ABS sensor (and of course, both of the old ones broke when trying to remove them).

So, I would buy the Timkens w/ABS, and get them from RockAuto.

If you really want Ford parts, use Tousley Ford (I think they're a sponsor here). Great prices.

Mike

2nd gen? or 3rd gen?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/FORD-EXPLORER-4W...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f1514f98

brand new for about 100$(with shipping included) i live near this guy so i buy for 50$ cash.

Scary stuff! This is what I got when I clicked on the link:

picture.php

Looks like possible malware. :salute:

:S its copied right from ebays main website.... using firefox.

w/e go to ebay.com and type in "ford explorer wheel bearing" , multiple ones come up

what program are you using that gave you that message lol?

:S its copied right from ebays main website.... using firefox.

w/e go to ebay.com and type in "ford explorer wheel bearing" , multiple ones come up

what program are you using that gave you that message lol?

I'm not trying to the boy who cried wolf here (lol) It says that there is content on that listing from a website that is known to contain malware. Google Chrome won't let me continue to the listing. No harm intended. I to am interested in seeing the listing. I will try to go there using another browser. :salute:

:p Firefox is key, the people i dealt with were very good, i blew one if the new bearings i put in and they gave me a new one, no questions asked.

That's cool. I'm gonna check them out. Thanks. :salute:

Ford online dealer price is $176.62. Includes ABS sensor and new bolts

Rock Auto has Timken SP470200 for $143.79 includes ABS sensor. A member on another thread posted this about the Timken ones

"OK, finally got the bearings and brakes done. Got Timkens with the ABS sensor (from RockAuto this time, can't say enough good things about them). They actually came with new bolts (with the yellow threadlock) which I was not expecting. Came with bolts for the hub/bearing, as well as bolts for the caliper bracket."

Rock Auto also has National 515050 for $169.79 that also includes ABS Sensor and new bolts. That's $8 less than the Ford OE one.

Many of the chain discount auto parts stores sell imported sets that have varying quality and some have had issues. Ebay also has some a cheaper prices, but often of Chinese origin.

You can get Chinese made ones from here for $55.90 but doesn't say about new bolts (ABS sensor is mentioned on Feature Sheet).

http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/p-5176-hub-bearing-hb615054-premium-hub-assembly.aspx

When I do mine I am going to buy the Ford ones as its not much cheaper than the National one from Rock Auto and those that have replaced theirs' with Ford units have usually had no problems.

SKF, National and Timken all make Hub bearing assemblies for the 2002-2005 Ford Explorer. I seem to recall that the National ones are US made bearings. Not sure about the others. You could go to those company websites and search their catalogs for further info.

Called Ford dealers today for 03 Ford Explorer front Wheel Hub Assembly 4WD with ABS sensor cable. Quote $240. Best I found $207. Called the site sponsors too. Thinking about the Timkens from Rock auto?? any problems with ABS with them ?

Thank you, I'll check that out and get the Ford OEM if they offer it for a reasonable price.

Just bought one for my 05 Ex from Oreillys. 70.99 for hub bearing assembly. Look at it on there website

I got the Master Pro from them, too. 20 miles later I got a good bearing. My personal opinion from recent experience - the Master Pro hubs are a crap shoot. Mine failed somewhere between 5 and 10 miles after installing it.

Back