Changing fuel filter on third generation X | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing fuel filter on third generation X

I have a 2003 Ford Truck Explorer 4WD 4.0L Flex Fuel SOHC 6cyl. Can someone tell me where the fuel filter is located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I work at a quick lube place and we do fuel filters all the time. It was a huge pain to learn in the beginning.......especially because they are clipped in differently on different cars. We still have guys at the shop that just won't do them. Once you get used to it the plastic tool works....just takes practice. Now i can whip one out in about 5 minutes. As for the gas bath.....it happens...usually i just end up wearing it for the sake of speed.

Jeff, as far as where your filter is, I can't recall off the top of my head. Worse comes to worse just look under the vehicle, start at the gas tank and trace your fuel lines until you see the filter. Works for me.

So glad I found this thread--my truck is idling low and shaking badly. It actually shut off 3 times in a parking lot yesterday. Ran normal this morning.
*so far*

I've been a bad girl and not done any general maintenance on it since I bought it in '03 (except of course oil changes). I'm replacing the filter this weekend to see if this helps, as well as the air filter and spark plugs--it has 116k miles on it :eek:

So glad I found this thread--my truck is idling low and shaking badly. It actually shut off 3 times in a parking lot yesterday. Ran normal this morning.
*so far*

I've been a bad girl and not done any general maintenance on it since I bought it in '03 (except of course oil changes). I'm replacing the filter this weekend to see if this helps, as well as the air filter and spark plugs--it has 116k miles on it :eek:

go ahead and replace the spark plug wires too.

The output side sucks! I'll pay my mechanic next time! #### that crap! Who the hell designed this crap?

This old "how to" thread was updated to include some photos. 9 years after my original post on the topic I went ahead and changed the fuel filter for the second time. Even though I had provided some tips I found myself once again frustrated and fumbling around with the "R-clips" which is why I decided to add some pictures so 9 years from now it'll be easier. The first time I did this it took two hours fumbling around. The second time took one hour but this job should only be a 30 minute job. Anyhow, the Explorer now has about 151K miles on it so this should hold it over for another 7 to 9 years...LOL!

yeah i just changed the fuel filter on my parents 05, mainly because i had the exhaust off and the transmission out so it was definitely the time to do it since there was much more room to access it.

nice job on the how to...

Back