• Register Today It's free!

Humming noise.... What is it?

jojogirl

Reaction score
City, State
Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport FOBYFO
This is my first time posting a question, so correct me if I make any mistakes... Thanx!

I have a 96 Sport 4x4, I just bought it a little over a month ago, it is in awesome shape, the motor seems real tight, no fluid leaks, no smoking.... Well you get the picture. Anyhow, there is a humming noise coming from the left front of the engine, it seems to happen more often while I am running the air conditioner. I have not experienced any stalling, or sputtering, I was told it might be the idle air control valve, or possibly the air compression clutch. Can someone help me figure out what this humming noise could be?

Thanx!
jojgirl :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it only happens when your a/c is on - that is probably your problem. There are bearings inside the compressor that can go bad. You might want to get it checked out to be sure.

-Drew

humming noise

but it is not coming from the area were the air is, it is coming directly from were the mass intake air sensor is. If I put my hand over that area, that is were the noise is coming from???????????

how do I IM someone?

Hey there. I just had this problem. It is the Idle Air Control Motor. It is a silver (if your engine is clean) solenoid on the top driver side of the motor. It has two 10mm bolts, and has a black cap on the side of it. The new part was to be around $75 at Murray's (auto store by my house), but if you search on Google for it, you can find em as cheap as $40. I took the black cap off to test my guess, and sure enough, no more humming noise. I still have to order the part, but it got so bad (I think it was stuck or something) that it makes my truck seem like there is a cylinder missing. I am praying this fixes my problem as I have already replaced plugs, wires, O2 sensors, Mass Airflow Sensor, belt, coil pack, cleaned the throttle body, change the fule filter, and took it to the jack ***** at the dealership who couldn't figure out the code and still charged me $150 to look at it. Sorry, that's a sore spot. Hope this helps!!

Back