I am planning on a sas 99 eX. Any help, ideas, pics or anything to help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I am planning on a sas 99 eX. Any help, ideas, pics or anything to help

wadetoombs87

Reaction score
City, State
Prince George VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 4.0 Eddie Baurer
Hey guys. This is my first post. I know what youre thinking, first post and sas= not good. Well ive been dealing with 4x4 a whyle. Just last summer did my cherokee 13" long arm lift front Coilover rear with 36x15.50 MTZ on a 15x12 wheel with no rubbing or trimming. I got a good idea of how it works. My wuestion is tho, i got a 99 expo its actually MINT. Never been off road no scratches or anything fully loaded. It has a 3in body and 32x1150 km2 on 15x10 dc2 wheels. I want to do full size strat front and a 8.8 out of f150 or a 9" rear. I want good clearence on 33s. Im torn between coil springs or leafs. with coils the flex will be great. leafs are much simplier and cost is better. Truck will not be off road much and even with leafs it has to be better than the IFS. Heres my list of questions

1 Coil or Leafs. if leafs what size leafs and what do they fit. I need to know what to order and would like a good ride.

2 What about steering box? How to mount it and what to use?

3 How much lift ontop of my 3in now would i need to fit a 33 or 35 comfrotably? Remember its a Eddie baurer and has flares and running boards.

4 what front axle and like i said i want full size? anyone got pics of how much offset a 15x10 is on lets say a d44 on a 99?

5 If i did leafs how much would i expect to pay.

Thanks guys. i really want to do this, but at the same time i want it done right. i belive So on that note im guessing like 4in more in front would be about right. I just dont want a big tire because of fuel cost and the weak trannys ford so inteligently came up with. With 32s now i never kick out of overdrive. i put a superior trans improver kit in it it has 140xxx and tranny is never rebuilt and is perfect.

on a side note, it has the bassicaly awd t case. Can i run one out of a ranger so i can select 2wd? How hard is it to wire up? Or is it possiable? I really hope to hear from you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys. SAS info where to post?

hey guys. I used to be on TRS years ago. Im new here. I have a MINT 99 eddie baurer i am going to SAS. I need to know where to post my info and plans to get more info? Any help or a point in the right direction would be wonderfull. Thanks guys. Im in prince george va. Anyone close that has done a SAS? I got a good idea of how to on it just need plans on a crossmember and steering

thanks. I have been reading. i have decided on a 44 for front and 8.8 rear both full sized. the #1 question i have now is the pros and cons of coil vs leaf packs. I wont be offroading alot or in mud. The number one reason for this whole swap is a better ride. my jeep with 13in of lift rode like a caddy. Is it possiable to get a leaf spring front end to ride smooth? Alot of ppl say there not to be dd but i see no reason not to daily drive it. and i want to do 33s with 456 gears. Is this a good start?

Back