• Register Today It's free!

SAS leaf spring questions

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
hello, i am about ready to buy a full width 8.8 and d44 from a local junkyard. i plan to have them both regeared at 4.88 and run 35's. i plan to do a soa with blocks on the rear and do leaf springs on the front. has anyone done a leafspring conversion? i wanted to know what mounts are used and what kind of leaf springs, also, if any measurements are available, that would be greatly appreciated. i am choosing to do leaf springs because it is a lot cheaper. does anyone know if they ride better or worse or about the same as coil springs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do a search in the Off-road projects forum, you'll find there have been a few people that have used leaf springs. The ride all depends on the type of springs you decide to use.

Ones that come to mind are:
section525
RockRanger
Chief34
CarFreak

thanks, i've seen wagoneer springs, but those will be hard to come across. i thought i saw something about explorer rear leafs? i'll check those names. since i'll be doing this with a couple of friends who don't know any more than i do and it will be my daily driver, i'll need to get as many measurements and part numbers as possible. saturday i should be picking up my bronco solid axle. $200 from the local u-pull. i have to decide to either cut it down, or just get a full size 8.8 and transfer my brakes onto it.

okay, i found a ton of jeep axles in the junkyard for $100 for the axle. i also found an old CJ with front leaf springs, i've been thinking about using those. the only thing that is stopping me is they are 5 ply and i'm not sure about if they are the correct length/ height

none of them used jeep cj springs, i believe they all used jeep wagoneer springs, except someone had 3" lifted ones..i think rockranger. i emailed alcansprings to see if they can sell me some wagoneer springs and how much they are. i will email them again and try to get some measurements and compare them to the cj springs. it was 46" for the entire length of the leaf spring and 42" from spindle hole to spindle hole while on the jeep.

ah, yeah, i figured it was a lot smaller. My friend found a guy that is dirt poop with a rusted out 69 wagoneer, but he refused to sell the axle or leaf springs because he claimed he was going to put a cutless body on it. the only wagoneer i found was a coil sprung 85. these things are just not around me. oh well, the search goes on. as a last resort i'll buy new springs and go with a dana 30, i just don't want to have to deal with the vaccum lock because i have no clue how it works.

lol dirt poop....i meant dirt poor. anywho i found a wagoneer with a driver side pumpkin(the other one was a passenger side, good thing i avoided that one;) ) with the leaf springs for $250, i pick it up wednesday.

Back