I am ready to start my eddie project...'94 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I am ready to start my eddie project...'94

Just a clarification..

The pic in the post above isn't an explorer radius arm. What is shown is a system that uses a strut. At least its not an A arm, but its not the typical Radius arm as ford trucks have.

Here is a pic of the radius arm. You see it connects to the Traction beam (called an i-beam on the 2wd fords). In my case I broke the shock mout off in this pic.
2049636663_7dccef2a67.jpg

Here is an example of extended radius arms. These started out as stock arms, but have been modified a couple times.

3664333154_48697cb376.jpg

As for the kit you found.. Do some searching as I can't remember which ones have the issues, but a few of the kits that use drop brackets can allow you to hit the front pumpkin into the drop bracket a punch a hole in it. If you set your bump stops correctly to limit the "stuff" of the suspension you can eliminate it.

I have only personally used the James duff kit. I really like their 2.5 and 3.5" lift kits. Their progressive rate front springs are great, the brackets don't get in the way of the pumking. I don't use their shocks as I've always used Rancho 9000 type shocks (different revisions over time).

Also, most of the time the drop pitman arm they give you still isn't long enough. You want to get the steering arms as flat as possible.

Here is an expample of what I mean. Most arms that come with the kits don't get this close.
3454400636_5bb18eabc5_b.jpg

Another option is to check out kits from people on here. I believe there is even a kit for sale right now for a 1st gen.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They have a 3.5" kit too. At least for the front they have 3.5" lift springs. That is what we installed when we wore out the orig 2.5" springs (and broke one coil spring from a 2.5" replacement set).

I "assumed" they had a full 3.5" kit since they have the springs to lift the front that far using the drop brackets from the 2.5" kit.

Its worth calling them to verify..

~Mark

first i am gonna get the suspension lift and tires i found a lift at roughcountry.com

Includes:
Front coil springs, radius arm drop brackets, I-beam drop brackets, sway-bar drop brackets, power steering pitman arm, 4 RC Hydro 8000 series shocks, u-bolts, and option of rear blocks or rear leaf springs.

Benefits:
• Redesigned kit for easier intallation!
• Fits 33" tires with no rubbing or trimming of fender well.

Notes:
• Does NOT fit 87-88 Rangers w/"High Rider STX" option.
• Vehicles w/ manual steering add manual pitman arm.
• Single steering stabilizer will not work on Bronco IIs with our 4" suspension and sway-bar drop brackets equipped.
• Lifts Fit Year Models:
- 1983-1997 Ranger
- 1984-1990 Bronco II
- 1990-1994 Explorer

90-94 4wd Explorer 4" Suspension [440H].......680.95
1991-95 Explorer steering stabilizer [87384]......49.95
6604 Manual Steering Pitman Arm....................35.00
shipping......................................................85.00
total.........................................................851.85

how does this sound

if your still going to do the rough country lift you dont need the manual steering pitman arm list. i have the same kit and it includes the pitman arm with everything else. what i would do is pay the extra 25 or so for the shock upgrade instead.

do i need to up grade the brakes if it is gonna be used for looks and offroading only like twice a month...its time to replace them i ned new calis and rotors, shoes and wheel cylinders....

you shouldnt have to, but check and see when the last time your brake pads, rotors, etc. have been changed out. if you go with a 4 inch lift youll need extended brake lines. (what they dont tell you in the instructions.) procomp makes some braided stainless extended lines, im pleased with mine because the truck now stops harder and the pedal isnt so spongy.

noticed james duff now has a 5.5 to 6 inch lift now for rangers and explorers for just over 1600.oo and it comes with every thing need to look in to new products

will 33X12.50R15C2 108R W fix on stock rims or do i need to get 1050

I believe a stock first gen wheel is 7 inches wide and a 12.5 requires atleast an 8. Otherwise you can run the risk of actually having the outside wall of your tire slip off.(this is what firestone told me) but if you do manage to pull it off, your tire will look taller and skinny as compared to a little bit shorter height and a wider tread with more rubber on the ground. If you are going to keep stock rims I would do a 33x10.5x15
That's just me.

the e molding on my x is uncleanable and looks pretty bad well to me when go to get it painted can i be painted or do i need to buy new ones at like $500.00 or better for both sides

Here are some more pics of her

Attachments

• day 2 c.jpg
    day 2 c.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,638
  • Day 2 a.jpg
    Day 2 a.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,877
  • day 2 b.jpg
    day 2 b.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,870
  • day 2 d.jpg
    day 2 d.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,646

Looks like were both in the same boat. I have a stock 94 XLT that I'm getting ready to lift and add tires, exhaust and other goodies!

Playing again.... i did however order the suspension kit rough country 4"

Attachments

• day 3 b.jpg
    day 3 b.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,636
  • day 3 d.jpg
    day 3 d.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,568
  • day 3 a.jpg
    day 3 a.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,735
  • day 3 c.jpg
    day 3 c.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,598

i ordered my kit the other day and some one told me there was this spacer thing that i could get to put in the springs. i am assuming that is in the front and it will give me two inches what do i do in the back where i dont have those kind of springs and then are new shocks needed

Attachments

• lift kit.jpg
    lift kit.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,787

just ordered my new tires and rims

33x12.50R-15, Pro Comp Radial All Terrain
Load Range C Max Load 2205 Tread Depth 18/32 Overall Diameter 32.4 Inches Raised White Letters Sidewall Construction= DualGuard50,000 Mile Tread Wear Warranty

rims are 15 x 8 .....all i budgeted for the rims

only $1147.41

Attachments

• procomp.jpg
    procomp.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,666
  • rim.jpg
    rim.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,587

ok well...the rear should include longer leaf springs instead of blocks. And you shouldn't need the spring spacers on a 4 inch lift to clear your 33s. Wheels look good by the way!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Skip the sun roof , go all the way and get a moon roof! The ones in hondas generally still work you can probably pull one cheap from a junk yard.

Back