I believe my windshield is leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I believe my windshield is leaking

usapadyra

Reaction score
City, State
Ukiah, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ex XLT 4.0 SOHC 2WD
Hey there,

I have been having some intermittent electrical issues. It all happens at once and is caused by rain. In long spells of dry weather the problem is totally non-existent. After a rain spell it will come back until after a day or two of dry weather. Driving in dry weather speeds up the process of 'recovery'.

The issues are:
- no power windows
- no interior dome lights
- no wipers
- no rear defrost

After some reading around on here, I'm inclined to believe that the GEM is getting wet and that is causing the problem. Many report a leaking windshield as the root cause, where water is allowed to ingress and then drips down onto the GEM. I do not have any issues with water getting in through the top or sides, or at least, not that is visible. Headliner is dry, and I don't think I can actually see any water at the bottom of the windshield when inside the cab.

I have a tube of silicone to attack it with. My plan is to fill the top left and right corners where the windshield meets the roof, and also run a sealing bead right across the top.

I'm not sure what would be best for the bottom, however. Is it necessary to remove the wiper cowls and apply sealant right at the lower edge of the glass? I would love to simply take off the cowls and check it out, but I hear they are extremely fragile and easily broken what with those stupid clips. But I am prepared to take them off, if I must.

I was thinking I could put a line of sealant across where the glass meets the rubber trim just above the cowl, and then another line where the trim meets the cowl. My thinking is that this will force water to run all the way down and into the cowls themselves. At this point I figure the water is below the bottom line of the windshield and so can’t leak in.

Last time it rained I also noticed that the driver's side floor mat was quite wet, but I was also hopping in and out the car with wet shoes so it may have just been that...

What do you reckon? Am aware this is a total patch job.

Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey there,

I have been having some intermittent electrical issues. It all happens at once and is caused by rain. In long spells of dry weather the problem is totally non-existent. After a rain spell it will come back until after a day or two of dry weather. Driving in dry weather speeds up the process of 'recovery'.

The issues are:
- no power windows
- no interior dome lights
- no wipers
- no rear defrost

After some reading around on here, I'm inclined to believe that the GEM is getting wet and that is causing the problem. Many report a leaking windshield as the root cause, where water is allowed to ingress and then drips down onto the GEM. I do not have any issues with water getting in through the top or sides, or at least, not that is visible. Headliner is dry, and I don't think I can actually see any water at the bottom of the windshield when inside the cab.

I have a tube of silicone to attack it with. My plan is to fill the top left and right corners where the windshield meets the roof, and also run a sealing bead right across the top.

I'm not sure what would be best for the bottom, however. Is it necessary to remove the wiper cowls and apply sealant right at the lower edge of the glass? I would love to simply take off the cowls and check it out, but I hear they are extremely fragile and easily broken what with those stupid clips. But I am prepared to take them off, if I must.

I was thinking I could put a line of sealant across where the glass meets the rubber trim just above the cowl, and then another line where the trim meets the cowl. My thinking is that this will force water to run all the way down and into the cowls themselves. At this point I figure the water is below the bottom line of the windshield and so can’t leak in.

Last time it rained I also noticed that the driver's side floor mat was quite wet, but I was also hopping in and out the car with wet shoes so it may have just been that...

What do you reckon? Am aware this is a total patch job.

Cheers
The gem module controls all those item you mention. The gem is mounted vertical.
Why don't you just remove radio too gain access too the gem. Put a plastic bag cover on the gem.
I think you just have a bad gem module.

? Do you have water on the floor?

The gem module controls all those item you mention. The gem is mounted vertical.
Why don't you just remove radio too gain access too the gem. Put a plastic bag cover on the gem.
I think you just have a bad gem module.

? Do you have water on the floor?
I might be getting some water on the floor. The driver's floor mat was damp last time it rained, but I was also getting in and out the car so I don't know if that was just from the water on my shoes.

I'm intending to pull the radio and check the GEM. At the very least I'll take it out and check for water marks. I'm going to make a note of the serial in case it ever goes completely and I need a new one.

I don't think it is 'bad' per se. There are zero issues when dry. I had on and off problems over the winter when raining, then during spring / summer I went on a 3000 mile trip and I didn't have a single problem.

Your idea of using a plastic bag to cover it is a good one. But I'd definitely stilk like to seal the windshield (assuming it is leaking).

I might be getting some water on the floor. The driver's floor mat was damp last time it rained, but I was also getting in and out the car so I don't know if that was just from the water on my shoes.

I'm intending to pull the radio and check the GEM. At the very least I'll take it out and check for water marks. I'm going to make a note of the serial in case it ever goes completely and I need a new one.

I don't think it is 'bad' per se. There are zero issues when dry. I had on and off problems over the winter when raining, then during spring / summer I went on a 3000 mile trip and I didn't have a single problem.

Your idea of using a plastic bag to cover it is a good one. But I'd definitely stilk like to seal the windshield (assuming it is leaking).
After thinking about it.
Why don't just remove the cowl. Take a look at the body seam and seal it with brush able seam sealer 3M. With the radio out you see where the water is getting in. You will also be stop a future rusted out hole.

Don’t rule out the fuse box, interior.

First up check your cowl drains, if they get plugged up then it will act like a leaking windshield and you will get wet floors with the rain

The wetness is usually around the footwells around the foot brake/ e brake and the pcm on the passenger side

The gem module maybe getting wet but that is less likely to have a leak in the middle of the dash

Cowl drains need to be kept clear, they are under each front fender, near where the radio antennae mounts

When windhshileds are replaced the technician is supposed to clear the glass frame down to bare metal or at least close to it, remove any and all rust, the apply a primer sealer before the glue. After many years this can be over looked and the result will be rust and eventually leaky glass

Sunroof drains and cowl drains are more common leak sources fyi then a windshield in my experience

I was just in there and the GEM is 6 inches away from the bottom windshield and the dash is higher ( slope)
than the windshield bottom

^ So you're stating that based on orientation, unlikely that a windshield leak could get the GEM wet?

So I pulled the cowls off. They weren't too bad. Broke off the passenger washer nozzle (snapped one of the little plastic clips that hold the metal square washer mount) but I'm sure I can superglue it.

When looking at the bottom of the windshield there is a small gutter about 1cm thick that runs the width of the hood. Right at the bottom of the windshield.

Mine was clogged up with dirt / crud in a couple of places. It looked substantial enough to potentially block the proper drainage of water. One was just behind the driver side wiper, and the other was just to the side of the centre, pretty much in line with the radio.

Assuming that the lower windscreen isn't totally sealed after all these years, I feel like heavy rain could lead to a build up of water in the gutter and seep inside. Especially where the car is parked on a sideways slant with passenger side lower down, such that the water runs towards passenger side through the gutter, only to get stuck at the crud pile.

I've cleaned it out, just waiting for a driver's side washer nozzle (broken for years) then I'll put the cowls back and silicone across where the rubber trim on the cowl meets the screen. Hoping this should minimise the amount of water going down into that gutter. Rather it will run through the vent holes in the cowls.

So I pulled the cowls off. They weren't too bad. Broke off the passenger washer nozzle (snapped one of the little plastic clips that hold the metal square washer mount) but I'm sure I can superglue it.

When looking at the bottom of the windshield there is a small gutter about 1cm thick that runs the width of the hood. Right at the bottom of the windshield.

Mine was clogged up with dirt / crud in a couple of places. It looked substantial enough to potentially block the proper drainage of water. One was just behind the driver side wiper, and the other was just to the side of the centre, pretty much in line with the radio.

Assuming that the lower windscreen isn't totally sealed after all these years, I feel like heavy rain could lead to a build up of water in the gutter and seep inside. Especially where the car is parked on a sideways slant with passenger side lower down, such that the water runs towards passenger side through the gutter, only to get stuck at the crud pile.

I've cleaned it out, just waiting for a driver's side washer nozzle (broken for years) then I'll put the cowls back and silicone across where the rubber trim on the cowl meets the screen. Hoping this should minimise the amount of water going down into that gutter. Rather it will run through the vent holes in the cowls.
? What did have too do too remove the cowl?
? How do you avoid not breaking washer nozzle, when removing?

Carefully

The cowl is removed with some
Phillips screws and clips there are two pieces
Unhook the rubber hose very carefully or even in hook it from the engine bay side before you lift the plastic bits. I replace those broken plastics all the time, it is getting harder to find good ones

? What did have too do too remove the cowl?
? How do you avoid not breaking washer nozzle, when removing?

I found this video quite useful.

Just to get an idea for where the clips are. Funny enough this guy breaks the cowl a little. You probably want to take it slower and more gently. I used some plastic putty knives to pry it just enough to get my fingers under. This way you can apply lifting further in / closer to the clips. Less stress on the edging of the cowl.

Regarding the washer nozzles, as 410Fortune said, it's best to disconnect the hoses at the back of the engine bay first. There isn't a lot of length on the hoses. Not enough to get the cowl up to properly unclip the washer nozzle. The nozzles are mounted to the cowls on a kind of metal square that is clipped in a plastic 'housing' consisting of two raised plastic tags. I think you need to carefully pull the plastic tags outwards so you can get the metal square with the nozzle attached out. I've read that you will have better luck not breaking old plastic if it's warm. More cold = more brittle.

Excellent post!

Back