Leak through the cowl on the driver side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leak through the cowl on the driver side

floridacatfan

Reaction score
City, State
Palm beach gardens
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer xlt 4.0 soh
Has anyone on here ever had corrosion and a leak through the cowl ? - it’s right where the wiper strut is welded to the bottom of the cowl - I fixed it 3 times - I’m running out of ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the effort - it’s no a blockage and I know exactly where it’s rusted through - I just keep throwing RTV on it but it only holds for so long - I think I need to cut the windshield wiper support to access and repair - I just thought someone might have some novel way to fix it - the first photo is the rust under the dash and the second is where it leaks in the cowl - maybe I’ll scrape it out and start over with 3m 5200

739361E6-F61C-4EDE-BC1C-FE338D340CCA.jpeg

View attachment 331813

View attachment 331814

View attachment 331815

View attachment 331816

View attachment 331817

640D3ECE-0E2F-423C-AA0C-3C9C6B27B12D.jpeg

B1952EAC-6D82-4455-B05A-C4E99D79D31C.jpeg

203AAE74-DFF6-4BBE-8D75-6C4BBC6ABBD6.jpeg

Whoops - I guess I loaded to many pics

Ouch! Looks like the rust monster is almost all the way through there!
I'd ensure the drain is not clogged, use your favorite rust stopper (Like CRC), then put on some epoxy (like JB Weld). When it cures, run some water over and ensure it does not puddle and does drain off, then paint it, ensuring that all areas have a good coat.

Leak located - I guess I’ll try silicon again - it lasted about 4 years

Any pictures?

I’d like to but I took a video and I can’t upload a video - maybe I’ll try to screen shut the video - I’ve been fighting this for 6 years and I just keep bandaiding it

This is a really bad problem - I’ve only seen one case where someone polled the fender off a ranger and cut on the cowl - there’s a body weld and a seam at the bottom of the gutter that’s sealed at the factory - trying to work from the top there’s several structural ribs - I access this part of the leak through the engine compartment.
I strongly suggest that everyone take the time to remove the little door and clean out the gutter - it takes 7/32 inch screws.
Clogging of the gutter is what resulted in the initial corrosion

C543DCA8-AF5D-4C31-AD18-A6914B1A4541.png

D8AF5C98-EFDC-4FE9-952E-278C2217E43C.png

Rangers have the same issues.

clogged drain hole will do it every time.

I’ve searched the ranger forums and never found a repair - I seem to recall one that removed the fender but that’s to much

Like your homemade drain... Looks like time for some rope, tarp, and poles to keep the rain/snow/sleet out.
I have a heavy duty Orange Poly Tarp 30' x 40' that I use (from Tarps Plus). I fold it on the short side, pass a rope through the fold and stake that side down. Use at least two long poles (preferably 4) to hold it up, then use tension ropes to stretch it out. I take mine hunting with me and has been nice to fix what broke in the dry and out of the wind. They have specials and I got thet tarp on special.

I’m not giving up on this - I have some thin stainless steel and I’m gonna treat the leftover sheeyt metal with por-15 - I’ll probably need to pull the sheet steen down with ss screws - I haven’t selected a sealer yet - I basically have lost all the cowl sheet metal

49C4B995-D547-41FF-BDB7-601B495B2EE8.jpeg

C79A5FED-CD35-48FC-9D59-7CB6DEC75DEA.jpeg

2E9AE33C-8015-4BA2-96F1-3E3F9AD31AFC.jpeg

Back