I bid you a fond farewell (For Now) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I bid you a fond farewell (For Now)

Redline

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Adrenalin
Well after just shy of 6 years and only 30,200 miles I parted ways with my 08 STA today.
It was truly a bittersweet moment in my life!

I really loved this truck since day one and never thought I would have parted with it but recent mechanical issues with the 4.6 exhaust manifold studs and a Cam phaser knock drove me to the point of a lack in confidence in my truck.
Repair estimates were $5,000 plus from 2 dealers.
The best estimate I received was from Brenspeed but transport to and from NJ to Indiana made that a wash with local estimates.
Should I have consulted this forum?
Probably! But that's truly an after thought as of writing this.

Anyway, My main concern was after these repairs what would be next to fail right around the corner???
Was it just the start of other problems?
Heater core?
Fuel pump?
Transmission?

The kick in the arse was before the issues came to light I was considering all kinds of upgrades including Brenspeeds Stryker 475 supercharger, Ford racing blue valve covers, new wheels, magnaflow exhaust and Roush exhaust tip.

I was feeling pretty excited about the upgrades until the issues and cost of mechanical repair came to light.

I had already purchased the valve covers, magnaflow muffler and exhaust tip as well as one Saleen replica S197 wheel from American Muscle to check fitment.
All are for sale at discounted prices if anyone is interested.

So there is another thread on this site titled what will replace your Sport Trac.
Well there really wasn't anything I was interested in except for the Jeep SRT8 Grand Cherokee.
And that's exactly what I ended up driving home tonight.

To be honest I am writing this because of my disappointment in Fords one size f150 fits all.
It's BS plain and simple.
Ford needs to bring back a mid size sport truck! But next time around make it truly worthy of the SVT design!
I would have absolutely purchased a new 2014/15 STA if it was available!
Even after my low mileage STA failure!

Trust me folks I am not looking for sympathy! The SRT8 is a blast to drive!
I was hooked as soon as I went on the test drive and the salesman said we have a mile of highway before we get off so now is your time! That was all it took!

But I loved my truck! It was mine! Paid in full! And I could have taken a chance on the repairs but repairs + performance upgrades + unknown future repairs.
In my opinion it wasn't worth it.
Instead I leased the SRT8 for 27 months with the hope Ford has something in the works!
New STA?
Bronco concept?

Well my STA will always hold a special place in my memories right with my 85GT but I am Mopar for now!

I will leave you with a picture of day two of ownership 1/3/09 as my pride and joy sat outside the front of my house.
And a picture of it's replacement sitting on the dealers lot.
And I will keep my fingers crossed that within a little over 2 years I will be posting I'm back in a Ford!

DSC_0134.jpg

90f87f1c5ab5627f21d028d2663d1278_zpsf56322e1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We do what we have to do..good luck with the Mopar!

You made the right move. if I couldn't swing a wrench I would probably have close to 7k to 10k in repairs if done locally. Luckily I have kept it around 1k doing what I can myself over the last 80000kms. that is still too high. Hate to say it but if I have any major power train failures, engine, Transmission, axle, or transfer case, I can really see a Tacoma like my neighbors sitting in my garage.

Those SRT's are suppose to be a lot of fun, hope it works out well for you. My wifes coworker had one, spoke highly of it, but I think it was the older style, maybe 2 years back. Your STA = 6 years & only 30K miles? Sounds like you were ready for a different something else anyway. I'm with you on the one-size-fits-all F150, its just too much truck size-wise for what I want.

Sorry to hear about your STA... I have 39k miles on my 2010 with little to no issues besides warped rotors and poor MPG (but thats more my insane driving then the truck). Mine is Certified for 100k and another 2 years or so and hopefully I will have no major issues on it.

I would be interested in the Ford Racing Valve covers if anyone here can confirm they do fit w/ little to no mods on the STA 4.6L. I am aware that they are the same engine, but was not sure of any clearance issues with anything else under the hood.

Talk about short lived!

After 1 week and a day and 109 miles on the SRT I am back in my STA.

On Tuesday night I found out the dealer made two errors in the lease contract and Chrysler rejected the "signed" contract.

One error I refused to accept and I was weighing other options with the dealer to try and keep the deal.

Wednesday morning I am speaking with my salesperson and as I told him if the SRT I had leased was everything I wanted I could have lived with the mistake.
It was what they had on their lot, the wrong color, and missing the trailer tow package.

Wednesday around noon he began a search within 100 miles and they were willing to take back the black and get me one in Red with the tow package.
They needed to contact the other dealer to confirm availability.

Wednesday 3pm my department Manager suddenly calls us into a meeting to tell us management is investigating out sourcing the department.
He knew we would catch wind of it through some of our current suppliers and thought it best we knew.
While he doesn't feel it will happen he admits he really doesn't know what will happen.

Talk about timing!
Was it Fate stepping in???

A Dealer error on the contract giving me an out and now this!

After hearing the news it was a no brainer.
The SRT was going back!

Wednesday 7:30 I am back at the dealer turning in the SRT and picking up my STA.
I did make one last attempt to keep the deal by asking if disability and unemployment insurance was offered but the banks no longer do that.
Appears they have taken a beating in recent years.

Although it was only a week it was a good feeling seeing the STA being driven up from the back of the lot by the salesman.
Like seeing an old friend! I did miss it.
Not to mention a relief financially after hearing the news at work!

Even my wife commented that it seemed "right" when she looked out the window to see it parked in the usual spot.

Since it seems it was fate the STA came back to me and with the news from work the plan is to keep and repair it.

I am dropping it off at a custom exhaust shop Monday to see if they can take care of the broken exhaust manifold studs without the head needing to be removed and while it's there have the Magnaflow muffler and Roush tip installed since I still have the parts.

If they can fix the studs easily and cheaply that will be a huge relief!
Keeping my fingers crossed! Ford wants big bucks for the repair!

After that I need to find a good reliable mechanic in the area to check it out and confirm if a engine knock is actually a Cam phaser knock as diagnosed by two Ford dealers or if something else.

Anyone in the NJ area know of a good shop!
I would prefer one performance oriented that also does repairs but it isn't necessary.
Already been in touch with JDM engineering but they are booked out 2 months.

Destyn2001!
Sorry! The blue ford racing covers are off the market!:D

Not much to offer but best of luck to you with keeping your job. I've been laid off twice, first time was without notice - boom!, your gone. Second time came with notice. Not sure which way is worse, definitely understand where you are at.

Not to press or pry - but your STA was very low mileage and has a very strong resale value. Why would you trade it in on a lease? I understand trading it for a new Jeep purchase, but usually a lease just wants a couple grand tax/security/buy down as the initial payment.

After 1 week and a day and 109 miles on the SRT I am back in my STA.

Destyn2001!
Sorry! The blue ford racing covers are off the market!:D

That's ok, I never got the confirmation they would be compatible w/ the Ford Racing Intake Manifold I posted on the "Modified 06'-10' Explorer" Page.

Glad to see you are keeping the STA, I never keep my cars that long (Had this one for almost 2 years which is a new record for me) and I don't see me getting rid of it, however I may get another daily driver before I dig into serious mods on this thing once my warranty is up next year (at least I think it is). I bleed Ford Blue, and nothing really screaming at me lately for anoter daily driver.

Hope everything gets fixed on your STA cost effectively.

TracMarks, he's not the only one to trade in on a lease. I also had to abandon my Explorer this month due to repair bills. I had hoped to try and sell it privately to get a little more out of it, but I didn't have the time to fix it up marginally, and trying to sell when it needs major work essentially brings its value down to trade-in value anyway (if you disclose to a buyer what's wrong with it). In my local market, my 02 4.6 EB would have sold for about $5000, ready for the road, but my transmission repair estimate was $3500, plus it needed about $500 in body work, a brake job, two wheel bearings, and a power steering pump. The bearings and brakes were on the list anyway, and would have been done if the transmission hadn't failed, and I was planning to do the body in the spring, so the truck wasn't being neglected. The power steering failed while I had it sitting for two weeks waiting for the transmission repair (which never happened) and the transmission was the nail in the coffin. At least a can of Red Tek got my air conditioning working again. I would have had a tough time selling it here in that condition for $1500, and likely would have had to sell for $1000. Instead i saved time and headaches, and traded it on my Hyundai lease for the same price.

Hated to do it, but it was the same for me - OK I can fix this, but what about next week? No garage, no time, therefore no truck. :(

Good luck with the repairs! There have to be some mustang shops around who can properly diagnose your truck, or confirm the estimate the dealers gave. Is LaRocca performance near you? From my Mustang days, I seem to recall they are in Jersey...

EDIT - WELCOME BACK!!!!

Not much to offer but best of luck to you with keeping your job. I've been laid off twice, first time was without notice - boom!, your gone. Second time came with notice. Not sure which way is worse, definitely understand where you are at.

Not to press or pry - but your STA was very low mileage and has a very strong resale value. Why would you trade it in on a lease? I understand trading it for a new Jeep purchase, but usually a lease just wants a couple grand tax/security/buy down as the initial payment.

Don't mind at all.
Two reasons:
1) Did you happen to check pricing on the SRT models :eek:
Way over my budget to finance. Leasing was my best option with intent to purchase at lease end.
Buyout was trending far below market value based on the current models.
2) Opportunity to get out of it in 27 months if I didn't like it or if something else better came out.

Btw, I was getting cash back on the trade.

That's ok, I never got the confirmation they would be compatible w/ the Ford Racing Intake Manifold I posted on the "Modified 06'-10' Explorer" Page.

Glad to see you are keeping the STA, I never keep my cars that long (Had this one for almost 2 years which is a new record for me) and I don't see me getting rid of it, however I may get another daily driver before I dig into serious mods on this thing once my warranty is up next year (at least I think it is). I bleed Ford Blue, and nothing really screaming at me lately for anoter daily driver.

Hope everything gets fixed on your STA cost effectively.

I guess I will provide you with confirmation as soon as I get it done :D
Magnaflow muffler and Roush tip was installed this morning and I am picking it up in a little while.
The exhaust shop could not find any broken exhaust manifold studs and neither manifold is warped contrary to two dealers diagnosis. Surprise surprise!
Guess the old saying "buyer beware" applies.
The exhaust shop also heard the knock although they say it was faint for them.
Next step is finding a good local shop.

Edit: to be fair the first dealer was the one saying the I had the warped manifold and broken studs. The second dealer did say they thought dealer A was correct but wanted to charge me for a correct diagnosis.
Dealers suck! Never again will I use one unless my vehicle is under warranty!

Loving the STA more than ever!
The place that did the install is KC's Kustom exhaust in Ramsey.
Very fast, great quality and reasonably priced!
Couldn't be happier with the look of the tip and sound of the exhaust now.
c32279b43df89f517b2cccc76e4001d2_zpse361d9f2.jpg

If only performance backed it up a bit!
I'm wondering if part of the problem with performance is if the timing is out if I actually have a cam phaser issue?

Regardless KC saved me quit a bit when he confirmed the exhaust manifolds and studs were fine.

Was on the phone with my insurance agent that happens to race his mustang.
He is located in south Jersey and is asking around for a reputable shop in the north where I live.
Hopefully he will get back to me with someone.

Back