I have a few codes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a few codes.

manny951

Reaction score
City, State
southern california
Year, Model & Trim Level
hello i am manny i joined the site so i can get some help on my brothers inlaw ford explorer 4x4 eddie bauer i believe it has check engine lights poppin up and was wondering if i can get some help my brother has a code test and i tested it i got these codes DTC 543 DTC 214 DTC 412 AND 538 i have looked them up but dont know where to start at any idea i can get some guidance? thank u alot..

manny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

G'day manny, welcome to the forum.

When you get several codes like that, SOP is to resolve the KOEO codes first, then the KOER codes, then the CM codes (see my notes on pulling EEC-IV codes if you don't know how to distinguish the types of codes). Comments on individual codes in no particular order:

1) KOER 538 is almost always operator error during the test. Review the test instructions and repeat the test, paying particular attention to the "goose" test portion.

2) KOER 412 is often not very helpful. It seems to mean simply that the engine wasn't running quite right (usually you already know that). I probably wouldn't worry too much about this code until you've resolved all the others.

3) CM 214 is usually associated with the camshaft position (CAMP) sensor circuit, assuming your '93 is SEFI with a CAMP.

4) KOEO/CM 543 indicates a fault in the fuel pump circuit. Exact diagnostic steps will depend on whether it is a KOEO code or a CM code.

mr shorty how would i check these test on number 3 and 4 what are the proper steps to fix these issues i really need to fix it soon so i can get my smog my truck didnt pass due to check engine light :[

Exact approach to the 543 will depend on whether it is a KOEO (hard fault) or CM (intermittent fault). Does the truck run (which indicates that the fuel pump is working)?

I'm not familiar with the diagnostics for a CM 214 (my '92 doesn't have a CAMP), but it seems to be fairly common. With the right search terms, you should be able to find several discussions on this here.

Exact approach to the 543 will depend on whether it is a KOEO (hard fault) or CM (intermittent fault). Does the truck run (which indicates that the fuel pump is working)?

I'm not familiar with the diagnostics for a CM 214 (my '92 doesn't have a CAMP), but it seems to be fairly common. With the right search terms, you should be able to find several discussions on this here.

yea the truck runs very good its just the check engine that doesn't let me pass the smog :[ california sux for smogs

Back