I have a question about the headlights in a 1992 Aerostar XL. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a question about the headlights in a 1992 Aerostar XL.

rainbowstew

Reaction score
City, State
Park Hills, KY
I have a 1992 Aerostar XL. I need to replace both headlights - the high beam is out in one of them and the low beam in the other one. I have seen discussions on here about headlight assemblies, and some time ago, when I first got the van, I looked up what kind of headlight it used and somewhere it said a #9007 bulb, and I bought 2 of them, which are still in the unopened package (bulbs only). Is it difficult to just replace those bulbs? They look like the same style of bulbs as the #9004 that was used in a Chevy Cavalier I used to have, and in that one you just twisted a holder in the back of the headlight, pulled it out, removed the old bulb, plugged a new one in, and put it back in there and twisted the holder back the other way, and you were done in about a minute. I really do not want to spend a bunch of money unnecessarily if I can avoid it. I tried looking this up in a car repair manual in the local library but it did not have anything about the headlights for this vehicle. Any information or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Bulbs are easy to change. Will take you 30 seconds for each one. Just be sure you do not touch the bulb with your bare fingers as your body oil can shorten the life of the bulb. Use a napkin or tissue.

If you're really feeling adventurous you can upgrade the standard 9007 bulbs with a "plug and play" HID kit. I will warn you though once you upgrade you'll never wanna go back. Also I highly advise making sure your headlights are properly aimed. One more thing, be sure to use some electrical contact grease on all your connections.

Back