• Register Today It's free!

I have cutting board skidplate

blackbeauty

Reaction score
City, State
canastota,new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 sport
well i have the cutting board type of material that some rock climbers use as skidplates. i was wondering if any of you have seen or used this stuff in person. it's white and about half inch thich. i got two good size pieces, plenty for two skids. any pics on explorers would held and/or mounting suggestions. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I havent used it, but i want to when i fab up my bumpers. What i would do is install a regular steel skidplate, and then in each corner drill a hole and weld a nut on theback side, then you can drill holes in your cutting board material, and just bolt it onto your steel skidplate.

skid pads if you will.

I need a piece of that stuff about 24" tall by 18" wide for my boat.

This subject has been touched on before, a search might find something

410Fortune said:
skid pads if you will.

I need a piece of that stuff about 24" tall by 18" wide for my boat.
Try 'Starboard' from West Marine or Boaters World. :thumbsup:

Well, if it really is the slippery plastic cutting board stuff, the official name for it is UHMW. Its available all over, cheapest place is Ebay most likely. Basically, its Teflon but about 1/2 to 1/4 the density of Teflon (Teflon is heavy indeed) and a little less slick. We use it all the times for all sorts of things... never thought of using it for skids but it would work fairly well on the whole.

You can't really damage it unless you just slowly but surely file or cut at it. Works much like Lexan in that it distributes any impacts across its full surface, and even if you do somehow puncture it, the remaining material retains its shape. Even Melting doesn't help much, it either returns to shape or breaks off in what can be described only as "Broken Cheese Chunks".

Best method for mounting this to something, good old fashioned bolts. Countersink the holes if you can though, so that you don't have nice metal bolts sticking out from the nice skidplates.

Ok, enough useless information for one thread.

Cali' Explorer said:
Ok, enough useless information for one thread.

There's no such thing. :D About how much does this material cost per square foot?

if only one could paind these.....can you paint this stuff?

It really depends on where you get it. In 1/2", I can find it for $20 per square foot for white/natural, or $17 per square foot for black through OnlineMetals.com, but they are certainly not the cheapest. McMaster.com has it for about $15 in any length you need in widths of 6" or less.

If you can find it on ebay it will usually be a lot cheaper, we bought (5) 5'x1'x3/8" pieces on ebay in black a couple of years back for something like $15 + shipping. Most stuff on ebay is remnants from Machining Operations but you can often find huge pieces for very little money.

Also, with how slick this plastic is, you could do 1/4" for the skid pads and be totally fine, plus you can brace the back of it with a basic steel sub-frame with some crossbraces and you'll have no worries at all.

Black Beauty-
You can paint it sort of, but the results are typically not too great. If you CAN get the paint to stick, it has a tendancy to break down the outer layer of material. But more often then not, its too slick for paint to stick to and it ends up peeling or flaking off over time. The one advantage is you can find it in different colors if you look. I have personally found it in White, Red, Blue, Black and Yellow (more of a mustard yellow than a bright yellow) and I know they do have other colors. My suggestion would be to find someone locally who sells metal, often they will sell these types of plastics too, and if not, they can point you to a shop that does.

i got some strips of this and some lexan from a place here in Colorado called S&S. for all you how will be out for the ledvill trip i should be able to make it and if you want can bring some along. the lexan by the by is about 10.58 per sq foot in 1/2 in thick and the uhmw is pretty close to that. also the guy there just gave it to me so i made a roof rack out of it. and im using a confiscated detor sing to make my skid plate.

why dont u just go to walmart and buy a big cutting board? like seriously i saw a pic of a "cutting board skidplate" and i couldnt even tell the diff. But like how would u mount it?

i dont know about you, but i have never seen a cutting board that is shaped like \_/ and is big enough to span the gap between bumper mount to behind the crossmember. Honestly if it were that easy, no one on this board would be having this conversation. And you mount it just like you mount any other skid plate...with bolts. ;)

i've been thinking, for once, and like the idea slravene had of using bolts ;). i also like the idea of countersinking some 1 or 2" washers. i'm deciding if i like the white board with my black truck. honestly, i dont have the lifts some of you guys have and the big ol nasty tires but i do care about the front suspension and steering in my ex so maybe i'll try it, if i don't like it i'll take it off.

Well, as I said before, UHMW does come in black, so you could always get black UHMW to match your black truck, then there are no issues (unless you want it to stand out of course).

metal dents. metal bends. metal is heavy. metal is old...

Back