I need help removing the starter on my 95 XLT. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help removing the starter on my 95 XLT.

badcamelot@yahoo

Reaction score
City, State
SLC Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I am trying to remove the starter from my 95 Explorer. It is the XLT 4 door model (if that makes any difference) the engine is the 4.0 V6, 4X4 with Auto trans. How the *!$#%@# does one get the starter out! I have removed both the bolts that hold it in against the bell housing and I have removed the two torx bolts that hold the ______ off the housing of the starter. I cannot remove the cables from this ______ and it is still connected to the starter housing. However EVEN IF I could remove it there seems no space available to remove the starter itself.
Help any help would be great.
please email me at badcamelot@yahoo.com
Thank you, Scott.

The hard part i felt was removing the two bolts, you have to be creative with universals and extensions.

You just have to find the right position, and you can remove the cables. Yes, it is a big pain and shops wanted a lot in labor to do it.

Starter

Thanks. I found that the bolts weren't that hard, you're right a couple of universals and they came out relatively easy - it's the cables that are a nightmare. I had to massacre the old starter, then it was like twisting a rubics cube to get it to fit between the oil pan, frame and axle! It only comes out and goes in ONE way. I've got the new one in and manipulated the unit around so that I could attach and fasten the cables from below, but it's near impossible trying to manipulate the starter back into the bell housing and bolt it in. I'm getting help tomorrow by having help from above jiggle and move the cables around while I try to manuever from underneath.
I appreciate your response all the same. Good luck.
Scott.

Back