I need information on how to remove an idler pulley. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need information on how to remove an idler pulley.

djdj12438

Reaction score
City, State
clarkston MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 mazda navajo
I have a 1991 mazda /Navajo, i was wondering if anybody new the best way to replace an idler pulley on this vehicle thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are two "idler" pullies, one is up on top below the intake, the other is on the belt tensioner. There's not much to it, just take the belt off and remove the bolt in the center of the pulley to get it off (it goes counterclockwise like every other normal bolt). If you want to remove the whole tensioner and replace it as a unit (recommended if the pulley is bad on it, tensioner is probably not far behind) Take out the bolt in the center of the tensioner.

Deepening on the tightness of the bolt and the size of your arms, you might need to take out the fan and shroud to get to the tensioner. It's not hard either, just get the fan clutch wrench set from loan-a-tool at autozone or the like, and unscrew the fan and the two bolts at the top of the shroud. Take it all out together.

For replacing the top pulley, I cut a square notch out of my fan shroud. The intake tubing covers it so it's not a safety issue. Makes it real easy to drop a wrench in there and pull that pulley.

Replacing the tensioner pulley is easy from the underside of the car, just pull the belt off (rotate tensioner to do so) and go.

Tension pulley center bolt is reverse threaded, meaning right to loosen.

the idler pulley has conventional threads. Just a heads up for ya!!

Back