I need information on lifting my explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need information on lifting my explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I currently drive an 02 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6 V8 and i would like to lift it and get bigger tires. I believe the stock tires on it right now are 24/70R16. I don’t want to spend a fortune on a lift and I am also not too mechanically inclined. I’ve done some researching and i’ve found that there are strut spacers you can buy or you can just buy different struts that add a lift. I would like to get 285/75R16 all terrain tires be able to fit on my truck. What size lift would be necessary for me to be able to fit those tires on it without rub? I am not going to be going extreme off-roading but I would like to have better tires for snow and going down some dirt roads to get to certain fishing spots. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That’s almost a 33’ by 11. That’s a big tire. What’s your gear ratio? That weight of a tire is going to significantly hurt performance and MPG. It’ll also chew up wheel bearings faster.

That’s also pretty wide if your factory wheels are 7’s.

That’s almost a 33’ by 11. That’s a big tire. What’s your gear ratio? That weight of a tire is going to significantly hurt performance and MPG. It’ll also chew up wheel bearings faster.
So is that too big a tire? What about 265 instead? is that more realistic?

I think the 265 is a lot more common, and I think there are a lot of members running them at stock height, so any lift would work. I’m not saying the 285 isn’t possible, because it surely is. I’d just make sure to do all your homework. I’m sure someone who has done it will chime in.

I think the 265 is a lot more common, and I think there are a lot of members running them at stock height, so any lift would work. I’m not saying the 285 isn’t possible, because it surely is. I’d just make sure to do all your homework. I’m sure someone who has done it will chime in.
Do you happen to know what kind of lift i should purchase? I know i can just buy different struts but i’m not sure if i would really need them if i’m not taking it off-road and i know there are strut spacers that you can buy. i just don’t really know the pros and cons of each

I would buy the assembled struts if yours are leaking, or the ride is bad. The spacers are easier to install, and will lift the truck in a reasonable manner.

I'm running 285/70-17s (slightly smaller than your proposed 285/75-16's) on my 2003 with the BTF spacers and arms, on stock Limited wheels (7.5" wide). During low speed turns, I was catching the front splash shields (the flexible rubber pieces at the rear of the front wheel wells), so I removed those; they were very noisy. I occasionally clip the leading inside edge of the plastic cladding, at the front of the rear wheel wells. And I rarely catch the inside edge of the plastic cladding at the front of the front wheel wells (rounded them off with a file). If you have an XLS or XLT (but not an XLT Sport, EB or Limited) - in other words, no plastic cladding - you'll have a little more clearance than I do. I'm not running wheel spacers yet, but those will greatly exaggerate the clearance issues, especially when turning, so I'm planning on a 2" body lift as well.

image-jpeg.jpg

I'm running 265/75R16's. At full lock, the tires rub the splash shields. I just ordered new quick struts to replace my 160K originals. That should help. I also ordered spacers, 3" front and 2" rear. I'm not sure if I'm going to install them. Do I need to replace the upper arms when using them?

Not required but recommended. You may also run into clearance issues with the rear half shafts, if you run spacers and quicklift struts. The way mine sits now, I can see grooves cut in the dirt on my half shafts where they've contacted the frame.

Not required but recommended. You may also run into clearance issues with the rear half shafts, if you run spacers and quicklift struts. The way mine sits now, I can see grooves cut in the dirt on my half shafts where they've contacted the frame.
The struts I ordered aren't quicklifts, just stock replacements. However, I know that mine are sagging, so I will get some increase with them. Any suggestions on preventing the axles making contact?

Don't drive through dips and into driveways the way I do...

Back