• Register Today It's free!

I need some help

NoLimits C.C.

Reaction score
City, State
Southern IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
I decided to back out my torsion bolt today and I cant seem to get it even and was wondering if anybody else had the same problem.

My measurements before I started were 32" on the passenger side (middle of front wheel well) and 31.5 on the driver side. I noticed that the torsion bolts were already uneven underneath. To start the passenger side bolt was out just under a 1" and the driver side was out just over an 1". I started to lower the passenger side first, I backed it out alot and then measured it dropped the front end about an 1" on that side and the driver side dropped about a 1/2" already. So I started to back out the driver side some to see if it would lower the passenger side some more since the driver side seemed to. Well I dont beleive it did and my X leaned more to the driver side so I screwed the driver side back in some to even it up a little. It looks more even but I only got less than an 1" lower on the front end. I thought I would be able to get 2" like everyone else did.

My big question is exactly how far can the bolt be backed out before the bolt falls out? And how can you know when its far enough?? I would like to go lower but dont want to drop the torsion bolt out completely and screw everything up. Can somebody Help me???? and Fast.

My measurements now are - passenger side 31.25" and the driver side is just under 30 3/4"

You're making this WAAAAYYY harder than it really is. After you back the bolts out, you have to bounce your front end up and down and then take it around the block to allow the suspension to settle. Adjust from there.

My bolts are only held in by about two turns. If they fall out, its not like your front suspension is going to collapse. As a matter of fact, nothing will happen. Completely removing them is OK.

Thanks Soooooooo much Hartman!!!!!! I am going out there now to tackle that b*tch. :D

Originally posted by NoLimits C.C.
Thanks Soooooooo much Hartman!!!!!! I am going out there now to tackle that b*tch. :D

That's the spirit! :D

Back