VirtualExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
I need to know if i need dolly's to tow my truck

I got a 91 XLT 4 by 4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you need a tow? tranny blown, motor seized, etc? In regards to using a tow dolly it can be done but I recommend a regular trailer as supposed to a dolly.

How far do you need to tow ? If less than a couple hundred then you'll be fine with a dolly. Just put the front up on the dolly and dissconnect your rear driveshaft. Easy to do, just 4 bolts and your done. I recommend just removing it completely and plugging your tranny with a rag or something to keep the fluid from spilling out; but you can always leave the yoke/driveshaft attached at the tranny end and just tie off the other end to the frame. Like above though if your gonna tow it more than a few hundred then you'll want to trailer it. Good luck...hope this helps

I wouldn't recommended but...you can tow a very short distance...like less than 30 miles with all four on the ground. If I remember correctly the manual says you have to keep it under 45mph the whole way and in neutral. Check your haynes it will tell you exactly what you need to do. This might only apply to the 2wd i don't remember off the top of my head.

wouldn't be a bad idea to put the rear wheels on the dolly and lock the steering on the front wheels

I need to tow it using a tow truck to the paint shop.

I just need to know if all four wheels need to be off of the ground

Im going about 15km to the shop

www.claudioscustoms.com

Yes, you need all 4 off the ground.

VirtualExplorer said:
I need to tow it using a tow truck to the paint shop.

I just need to know if all four wheels need to be off of the ground

Im going about 15km to the shop

www.claudioscustoms.com
You call that an emergency? Bah.. Next time read the rules of the 911 Forum before posting in there. Its only for emergency situations when your truck is broke down on the road, at home, etc..

If you need to flat tow it or use a dolly on an automatic, the engine should be running in park. This will ensure that the bearings in the transmission don't get toasted. If it's a manual, you can flat tow it 'til the cows come home so long as it's in neutral.

-Joe

Back