I recharged my Ac But......HELP | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I recharged my Ac But......HELP

scott,

what was the name and/or part number of the harborfreight vac that you used? Also where exactly do you hook it up to the system if you want to evacuate it?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hooked the vac up on top of the accumulator where you add freon to the system. I used the hose with the freon kit and an adapter to go from the R134 style fitting to the R12 style fitting on the vacuum. I don't have a name for the vacuum, just a venturi type vacuum. It cost $12.99 on sale at Harbor Freight. It seems to do a decent job, not great by any means, but for the price it'd be hard to beat. I ran it for about 15 minutes on my compressor.

I had the a similar problem, the switch to jump it is in the corner of the engine bay closest to the passenger door. It sounds like you may have something in the piping blocking the refrigerant from getting to the compressor replace atleast the oriface tube (check it and i bet you'll find it full of gunk) and have it evacuated. In my case the guy that was evacuating my system only did it for twenty minures (suppose to be 30 but he said if it does'nt get everything in twenty its not the problem) needless to say it still did'nt work. So as I was shutting my hood up his boss came and said he wanted to try it. My compressor was coming off and on again everyfew seconds. So he jumped it and sure enough it stayed on. He hooked it up again and evacuated it for the whole 30 minutes and sure enough it worked without him doing anything differently. Some people will tell you that evacuating is not important as my friends tried to tell me, but now i'm a sure believer in doing things the right way now.

I finally got it going earlier today by doing just what you're saying... jumping the electrical switch on top of the accumulator. It seems to be working pretty good right now.

I got everything ready to roll. I am going to be replacing the accum tommorrow morning. THanks to Scott and V8 for all of the advice. I will keep you guys posted.

are you guys talking about the sensor right under were we add a charge? Because mine is still going on and off..

Glad I could help you out some. Yeah, its a little round connecter right under where you add the freon. Just jump it with a small piece of wire.... the compressor will stay on aslong as the two pins are shorted together. Note its a 4 pin connector, but only two of the holes have wires in them.

Guys... jumping this as a test of the compressor is ok... leaving it jumped is NOT. This is NOT some instant FIX. yes the switch COULD be bad, or maybe, just MAYBE it is doing it's job ! Don't expect a panacea. There are a lot of posts and threads on here that will explain the system operation. Read grasshopper.

Cool, long term cool...
Exploring

Chris

ps. the switch is DESIGNED to cut out at 25 psi... to prevent freezing your evaporator. Without a gauge set, you have no idea what it's doing.

Glad I could help you out some. Yeah, its a little round connecter right under where you add the freon. Just jump it with a small piece of wire.... the compressor will stay on aslong as the two pins are shorted together. Note its a 4 pin connector, but only two of the holes have wires in them.

Yeah, be sure to put the connector back on like its supposed to be after you get some freon in it.... don't just jump it and run it like that from now on....

OK guys

I replaced the accum. today per the instructions that Scott, and V8 had posted on the board. Inside Temp with A/C on Max before the replacement. 67-70 degrees. Temp inside after 48-50 degrees, that doesn't sound like a big difference but it is. After I put the accum in, I started the Ex and had A/C on Max, the compressor wasn't doing anything, then I started recharging, the compressor kick on for 15 seconds off for 5 seconds, after I got half way through the second can of freon it started staying on. THanks guys here's another example how the board helps us save $$$$.

Thanks again,
Brian

Ok i jumped that switch were i put the freon in and the compressor stayed on and the air got cold..Also the pipes got cold too...What does this mean? New switch or is something else causing it

what you describe can also be a low charge. Get a gauge and see what your low side pressures are, or take it to someone to have them check. It's not difficult.

Chris

The guage has me in the red at 100 or so..

I'm sorry. Jumper the connection so the AC runs, and THEN read the pressure. 100 PSI or so, hmmm I bet it was in the 90's there when you read it without the engine running. Good guess?

Read the low side with the system opertaing, sorry I should have mentioned that before.

awaiting your response

Happy Exploring

Chris

I'm sorry. Jumper the connection so the AC runs, and THEN read the pressure. 100 PSI or so, hmmm I bet it was in the 90's there when you read it without the engine running. Good guess?

Read the low side with the system opertaing, sorry I should have mentioned that before.

awaiting your response

Happy Exploring

Chris

Re: accumulators

I couldnt find my AC leak and found this site a little while back....tore out my air box etc to egt to the accumulator at all sides...peeled off the blanket, and nothing....completely clean and new....

Considering the weird and inconvenient spots I am seeing rust on this truck, I thought for sure this would be the problem..

turns out the condensor has a leak......

Great....so I get to replace BOTH. And I "just" had everything apart to replace the radiator about 3 months ago.... :)

DZ

Originally posted by professorweed
I found this web page that would make interesting reading for anyone with leaky A/C.
------------------------
http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/corroded_accumulator.htm

i dont know if cars are the same way but i do hvac work for a living u can also over charge a system and it will cut off....so under charge over charge both shut it off

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you guys know a lot about ac so maybe i can get some help.i've had my 94 explore for 3 yrs. now.at the begining of every summer, i have to recharge my system because of some leak during the winter season that i can't figure out. this past summer i had to recharge it 2-3 times because it would not hold a charge for more than a month.just last week i put a can in it and it only kicked the compressor on for a few seconds. i'm pretty sure that the compressor is good because i didn't have any problems with it before when there was a charge. i'm almost positive that the eccumulator is good because i changed that out 2 yrs. ago along with the orifice tube. i what i will do next is go buy 2 more cans of r134a and fill it up to make sure that the compressor is good. but what i can't figure out is where is this leak coming from.at first it would hold a charge for a month, now its only a week and just keeps on going down hill.any ideas or suggestions on what it could be.

Back