• Register Today It's free!

I want more HORSES.

tmann91

Reaction score
City, State
Whitakers, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello. Im new to explorerforum but sometimes visit the posts as they turn up in my google searches. I know very little abt vehicles but im in love with my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport. I want to know of some inexspensive but effective ways to add more horses to my vehicle. The only modification it has is the exhaust. I had an Accelerator Muffler put on and basically ran a Y-pipe to change it from single to dual exhaust (only 1 pipe coming directly from muffler & splits into 2). Also, can someone give me info abt the Accelerator Muffler? Is it any good? Its barely loud & sometimes doesnt seem noticeable to me. Open for any & all advice & thankful for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Each HP will cost a bunch, so nothing is really cheap on a per HP basis. Nitrous is the most cost effective hands down. Having said that, you only get power when on the bottle. Air intake is relatively inexpensive but will yield only 7 HP or so. If large gains are your goal, the only reasonable approach is turbo or Supercharger.

theres a guy on the forum that threw a turbo on his sport but i cant remember his name. look up the thread explorer sport pics, he should be on there. intake would be a good way to get an extra 5-7 hp, a fresh set of premium plugs and wires can add a few hp, but to get major gains, there isnt much you can do unless super or turbo charging which cost major bucks and will wear your engine out prematurely.

I wish I could get 7hp from an air intake.

I wish I could get 7hp from an air intake.

i should have prefaced that with "allegedly"! im telling you though, changing out your plugs and wires for some fresh premium ones will def get you some extra ponies.

Plenty of people have swapped a 5.0 from a 2nd gen explorer or mountaineer into 1st gens and 2nd gens that came stock with a 4.0. a 302 has huge buildup potential if you can swing the cash. search 5.0 swap and see what you come up with.

Thanx 4 all of ur help. Supercharging is NOT the way i wanna go if it can hhurt my engine & be'n that its most expensive, its out of the question. LONO100, do i just go to the autostore & simply ask 4 premium plugs & wires? And does any1 have exp w/an Accelerator Muffler? Guys who put it on did carry the Flowmaster but said the Accelerator sounded basically the same & said it was made better than the Flowmaster. Flowmaster was most expensive so i ddnt think they wud lie. & is a K&N intake REALLY the best or can i order an offbrand from Amazon.com for abt 60bucks & get the same result? Once agn, thanx 4 any & all of ur help

....and im not really looking for large gains in HP. I just want something that may be a little noticeable in terms of engine sound & while behind the wheel (mainly sound increase; deeper sound under the hood)...

...anand BrooklynBay, what do u mean custom tune? Is that basically like LONO100 was sayn abt premium plugs and wires? I have alotta questions, i know, so i really appreciate all of the help u guys r givin..

you can do a search on this forum for spark plug and wire reviews and things like that. some spark plugs are gimmicky and some people swear by. the ford motocraft ones seem to be the consensous, but it's more about getting a fresh set of plugs and wiresthan what brand you get. the plugs and wires degrade over time, they get covered in oil if you have leaks which causes them to short, and other wear and tear issues. getting a fresh set will net you some lost ponies for sure.

in terms of getting a few extra horses and getting a better sound when you punch the throttle, def look into getting an aftermarket exhaust and possibly a MAF or CAI. good luck and post pics if you put in any work!

My truck has a plain old cone filter, 5.0 MAF from a junkyard truck and a Dynomax super turbo muffler dumped right before the rear axle. The dynomax super turbo is pretty affordable if I remember correctly. I love the sound of my truck and it has a little more GO than it did stock. In terms of sound, my muffler has a nice growl to it. After I dumped it, the sound had much more volume to it, but I like it. I also have 4.88 gears and 33" tires but my loaf of bread is relatively nimble and fun to drive.

How would THIS go: K&N intake, maybe upgrade from the Accelerator Muffler to a Flowmaste (OR Glassspack :), & new spark plugs & wires? I seen a cold air intake on amazon for about 60bucks but ddnt know if it would give the same results as the K&N...

...and Slowlyvverot, are u saying you took a mass air flow sensore off of a V8 and put it on a V6? And this question is for the PROFESSIONALS ONLY OR THOSE WITH EXPERIENCE ON THIS EXACT SUBJECT - no offense to any1 else but i need STRICTLY FACTS on this: What will happen if i remove the muffler completely and just run pipes after the catalytic converter? I know it will make it louder, but what abt HP & fuel economy?

(Sorry yall) if i added the cold air intake, would that basically defeat its purpose if i removed the muffler? Would it be like turning one tv off in a house to conserve energy but turning another tv on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to jump into a place where someone just asked for a professional, but working at Napa has made me somewhat of a parts professional. I am not thinking that changing your muffler or eliminating it will have a notable difference as far as power gain. I am thinking this because your cat is playing a very large part in restricting hp. I would recommend a performance high flow cat to lessen this issue. It is the same idea I have when I see these high school kids keeping the downpipe on their sports cars and putting 3in pipe back behind the cat. If the exhaust is only 2.25 in at the manifold and the exhaust is hitting the cat before having more room to expand then its flow is still restricted.

Back