I want to get a nice exhaust setup but I have a V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to get a nice exhaust setup but I have a V6

NineSixXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V6 XLT
I was going to look into getting some sort of exhaust setup on my truck to simply give it a little more tone when I'm driving. I'm not looking for huge performance gains or anything- just some sort of catback or something to make the car sound better. The only concern is I'm not sure if the V6 engine would sound tacky with exhaust or not? Does the V6 4.0 sound good at all with an exhaust setup? Please let me know if you have exhaust on your V6, how it sounds- and if it's even worth it to get one installed.

If it's a good idea- then what size piping is best for Explorers? I've been in cars myself all my life so I'm used to just using 2.5 inch with a 3 inch tip on the muffler but I have no idea what brand to go with for a truck, what type of exhaust etc. Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is that what you have? how does it sound though that's what I'm worried about :eek:P

I have the flowmaster and it sounds great, especially when you first fire it up, vaaaarOOOOOOOMMMM! :) I have been told my V6 sounds better than a lot of V8's It will sound a litle more mellow with some milleage on it, at least mine did.

I have a flowmaster 40 with 2.25" piping. I love how it sounds, sounds like a beast :)

a single 2.25" exahaust on the OHV 4.0L will provide a little more low down torque. Flowmaster mufflers sound great on the 4.0L.
a 2.5" single exhaust will provide a little more high end, but you lose a little low end.

If you get rid of the stock air box and intake tube you will also change the sound of the exhaust.

i have a single 2.5" piping with a flowmaster 40 series muffler it sounded pretty good stock, but then i got a k/n open air intake and it sounded great, loud deep tone and feels like i got a 10-15hp gain
i made my intake, but it is the same thing as the kkm or ifab cost around $45-100
i got my exhaust from a local shop i paid $215 but prices vary

I would strongly recommend looking into Gibson's Sweptside systems (http://www.gibsonperformance.com/products-14297-swept_side_exhaust.html). The sweptside is nice because, even though a straight pipe system might allow for a little more horse power, the sweptside system allows you to maintain back pressure which is advantagous. From my understanding, Gibson systems sound great at lower RPM yet are considered some of the quietest in the cab. As soon as I can muster up the money, this will be my next major project for my SOHC. Truckperformance.com has a special right now for your Xplorer - $269.99 USD (http://www.truckperformance.com/products/?productID=502394).

i was just readin htis forum and thought i would ask a follow-up question. i have heard that hte 2.25" pipe is better for hte OHV but for the SOHC the 2.5" is better. is this true or is the 2.25" the best way to go for all the 4.0's

2.25" for OHV and SOHC.

I have had excellent results with 2 1/2" pipe on my SOHC.

Flowmaster suggests 2.25" for the OHV and 2.5" for SOHC (based on HP specs anyhow). I've seen so many folks do the opposite with decent results.

its a matter of preference and also depends greatly on how far you want to take the rest ofyour engine mods...

Think of your engine as an air pump, the more air you pump through it the more power you will make, but the OHV wants some backpressure (2.25") to maintain the low end torque the engine is famous for. I ran 2.5" single exhaust from the headers back on my OHV and always had plenty of power, but I also had full itake mods to go with it.....

scribsac said:
I would strongly recommend looking into Gibson's Sweptside systems (http://www.gibsonperformance.com/products-14297-swept_side_exhaust.html).

I've got the Gibson Side Swept on mine and I couldn't be happier with it! It's quiet in the cab but has a nice rumble outside at idle. And of course it sounds great when you punch the gas!

I've had it for over a year now and still smile when I crank up the X and the passenger door is still open. It's a great sounding setup.

As much as everyone recommends the flowmaster I wouldnt go with it on the V6. The Gibson is what I recommend, I have been running it for years now and couldnt be happier. During the many explorer meets I have been to I was able to hear the different exhausts and Gibson turned out to be my favorite. Its unnoticable at anything under 2000rpm but anything over it sounds great. The other exhausts seem to have a trace of a rhaspy sound whether people admit it or not.

Texplorer said:
As much as everyone recommends the flowmaster I wouldnt go with it on the V6. The Gibson is what I recommend, I have been running it for years now and couldnt be happier. During the many explorer meets I have been to I was able to hear the different exhausts and Gibson turned out to be my favorite. Its unnoticable at anything under 2000rpm but anything over it sounds great. The other exhausts seem to have a trace of a rhaspy sound whether people admit it or not.

Really? You don't notice yours at idlel? I did notice the difference between stock and the Side Swept, especially on start-up. Reguardless I agree with you, Gibson is certainly my favorite as well...

NineSix, you should just run straight pipes with a glass-pac... ;)

Get 2.5" cat back single outlet with a Flowmaster 50 series (non-delta) and a 3" tip. Get an exhaust shop to fab the pipes for you, don't buy a premade kit it will cost twice as much. I've had guys ask me what size V-8 I swapped in, I love how it sounds. Here's a pic of where my tip came out, I had them take it straight back around the spare to come out behind the right rear tire. Just remember to clean the tip religiously or it'll be rusted over within a year. Good luck

2245after2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brandon1993Sport said:
Get 2.5" cat back single outlet with a Flowmaster 50 series (non-delta) and a 3" tip. Get an exhaust shop to fab the pipes for you, don't buy a premade kit it will cost twice as much. I've had guys ask me what size V-8 I swapped in, I love how it sounds. Here's a pic of where my tip came out, I had them take it straight back around the spare to come out behind the right rear tire. Just remember to clean the tip religiously or it'll be rusted over within a year. Good luck

2245after2.jpg

That looks real nice with the 3" tube, do you have a pic of the back of your x with the 3" tubing?

Back