I want to install a navigation system. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to install a navigation system.

qo

Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I have just purchased a 2006 Explorer. I want to get a navigation system.
I just want to know what the best one is to use? I want it to be satellite ready, easy to use... verbal commands.. ipod integration, and blue tooth!
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. and where to get it installed..
How are the units Best Buy has?
thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have just purchased a 2006 Explorer. I want to get a navigation system.
I just want to know what the best one is to use? I want it to be satellite ready, easy to use... verbal commands.. ipod integration, and blue tooth!
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. and where to get it installed..
How are the units Best Buy has?
thanks!!

Since you mentioned Best Buy then most likely you're looking at aftermarket decks. Looking at Bestbuy.com, I saw a couple of Pioneer Avics (X91BT and Z110BT). I've installed an older generation Pioneer Avid-D3 on my mom's RAV4 and it's got good features. It had Ipod control built in, bluetooth compatible, dvd-based navigation, sat radio, plays DVD movies, etc. Just note that the prices of the units do NOT include the additional modules

Depending on model, there may be separate modules for HD radio, Bluetooth integration, etc. You may also want steering wheel control integration (if you have radio controls on your steering wheel)

If you bought it from Best Buy, then I would say get it installed at Best Buy - you might be able to get a deal such as free installation. However, if you know what you're doing and you are comfortable with connections in your vehicle as well as taking things apart - then you can always do it yourself.

All in all, with all the features you want, you may end up spending upwards of $1500. That includes the basic receiver, additional modules, dash kit, harnesses, etc. Labor would be extra, but your new unit would have far better features than oem. I've got nav on my 06 EB and most of the time, I still prefer the flexibility of the 2-year old D3 model.

Good luck

thanks for the great info, IO appreciate it..

I am also thinking about installing a Nav System in my 2006 Explorer XLT. The units that meet my requirement are the Pioneer 710BT, 910BT and 110BT. The 910BT is the same as the 710Bt but with DVD. The 110BT is the High end. Try Sonic Electronix or Crutchfield website and you can get a good comparison of the units against each other and also with other brands that will fit the 2006 Explorer. These sites will also give the necessary accessories to get the unit to fit

navigation installed

I did exactly that, and ended up buying the Clarion one for $499. So far loving it! Not that excited about Satellite radio, except the sound is amazing. My favorite feature is the Ipod feature. Awesome to have control, the only disappointment is you can't shuffle mode, but sound is great. The navigation is pretty good too. not as fancy as the Pioneer, but does what I want. It plays DVD's , but when am I going to sit in my explorer and watch a movie, too bad you can't have it play, while you drive for your passenger, but safety first!
Anyway, let me know if you like the Pioneer.
thanks for info

Dissapointed with Satalitte?

:usa:
Gosh, I love the sirius capable head unit I have. Listen to it more than the 10disc changer. I know the sound isn't as good.....but...
For example, I love listening to Sirius Patriot Channel. 144 I think. I'm a political junkie I guess. For news, Fox talk is on 145, and Fox news is on 131.
Sorry for the rant. I guess I feel the vast majority of people are blinded by the CNN types all over the cable systems.
Take Care

Ron

Back