IAmTodd's '94 POS, wait thats my Saab thats the POS | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IAmTodd's '94 POS, wait thats my Saab thats the POS

I can't seem to stay away from the Explorer world for more than a year. I just checked out a '94 XLT earlier this evening. She's in a rather rough state at the moment but I have plans for a nice winter truck for her.

Specs:
1994 XLT
Condition of the motor: unknown
Trans: not really there
Transfercase: taking up space in the boot.

It has minimal rust for an 18 year old truck with 160k on the clock. Trans died and the owner decided to try to rebuild it himself. No such luck. It's currently sitting in a guys shop with the motor and two axles. All the parts are there except the trans which is junk. Body work is nice and straight. The passenger rocker has disappeared and a small amount of rust at the top of the rear arches. Interior is dirty, leather is rough but good new is it has a wind up sunroof!

I've just given my word on it. Title and transport should be negotiated on come Wednesday. For $350 I think it's good for parts at least!

First thing will be to get it rolling with a manual swap then continue to fix from there. Brake work will be needed with more maintenance I'm sure but I'm in no rush.

Glad to be back guys!

7019358923_da55f4d361_z.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's called Rock Run in Patton, PA. It's more for ATVs but they have enough OHV trails to make the $25 entrance worth it. I'd be willing to hit it up again.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

wow that place is like 5 hours from here. i need to not be in jersey anymore

wow that place is like 5 hours from here. i need to not be in jersey anymore

There's quite a few places around here. A local group does a few outtings a year, next one I'll make a post about it and we'll see if we can get some Ford representation.

Truck was in for another alignment yesterday. This marks number 3 with my ownership. Toe was out pretty far but otherwise it was good. Guess that was to blame for my front tire wear. I'm heading down to Adam's this weekend so we'll see how it does on the trip.

Truck was in for another alignment yesterday. This marks number 3 with my ownership.

thats one of the joys of ttb ownership, you get used to it

Yea, you fill up the windshield washer fluid the weight shift puts it out. Just needs to hang on a bit longer until I can SAS :D

Picked up a few more goodies for the truck. Got an overhead console, auto dim mirror with auto lamp, and homelink visors plus wiring from the Limited I got the seats from. I feel bad that I keep ripping more and more out of this truck but the good parts of the Limited will live on!

9070712193_85c4662cdd_z.jpg

I got the console fitted last night. I'm working on the wiring now. I need to get some extra wires and a few relays for the auto lamps.

9070710339_2ddb143033_z.jpg

So I found out that you have to switch the button on the windshield for the mirror mount. Hoping I can get mine off without breaking the OEM windshield. Everything else is wired up. I believe I have the wrong wire for the autolamp kick on. I have to probe around there a bit and I need to redo the connection for the speed sensor as it is not updating the temp as it should be. Otherwise it all works, woo!

I put in yet another parts order. This time for top end gaskets. I need to fix the leaking lower intake gasket and I want to peer under the valve covers to see the condition of the valvetrain. I don't believe this engine has ever been open so it should be interesting.

I also got the kit to rebuild the trac-lok in the rear end plus new brake adjusters for the drums.

My 4th of July is pretty much scheduled at this point. :D:thumbsup:

My stint or regasketing everything hasn't been going very well. I tore everything down Monday. The nut on the upper EGR tube didn't slip so when I turned it it twisted the entire tube, kinking and splitting it at the 90* bend. At that point I said screw it and broke the pipe and removed the EGR valve with it. I removed the tube from the valve in the vice. While turning, the base of the EGR valve exploded. So new EGR tube and valve on the way. $85 I wasn't planning on spending but oh well. I still have to remove the lower portion from the manifold which scares me but the show must go on.

Everything else came off without an issue. Underneath the valve covers looks good. No sludge or chunks.

9198404811_ccd1d472bf_z.jpg

Cleaned up everything and put some paint to some of the parts.

9201166594_1cfb185567_z.jpg

Last night I got the lower intake on, valve covers, and injectors with fuel rail. After doing a bit of reading today I found I installed the injectors incorrectly and possibly sliced up my new seals. Going to check into that tonight and thankfully I accidentally ordered a second set.

And here is where I sit as of last night:

9198373213_1c611ab657_z.jpg

Got the truck put together on Saturday morning. Replaced much more than anticipated but it seems to be solid on the top side.

I replaced the LSD clutches yesterday and all the rear brake hardware. I get some nice lock up action from the rear end. At least until the clutch get completely saturated in fluid.

I'm not sure if it's at all related but my rear main seal seems to have given out. It's always dripped a drop or to but now it's making a nice puddle. Looks like I'll be pulling the trans in the near future to slip a repair ring and new seal on it. Always something!

Great Work....

So in the course of 5,000 miles I'm toasted all 4 of my Timken bearings. I'm thinking a combination of my poor packing skills and water from wheeling has toasted them. I have those on order and I also ordered a new lower intake gasket from the dealer. I'm hoping this and another set of valve cover gaskets will fix my oil leak.

Yay for pre-winter projects. :(

All that mud from doe valley. LOL. You going again on sept. 6-7?

Thinking so.

Yea, I should be game to go out. I have a wedding Saturday night be should be able to wheel until 2 or 3.

Well the sealant that was supplied in the kit for the valley was ****. Stuck to nothing and that's what has allowed oil to escape past it. Picked up the Ford OE seal (so pretty!) and will slap that in today.

Everything is back together and I drove it to work. Quite a satisfying feeling to have it back again. Some test trips last night resulted in the normal one drop of oil after turning it off. No more puking over over the bell housing. I can deal with a drop!

Bearings are done as well. I did a much better job at packing them this time and was also more picky about the preload. Hoping I got it right this time!

945743_10101468320226433_1546862650_n.jpg

Oh snap I think she's fixed! Drove out to Carlisle and back today and averaged 17mpg. Truck is doing great and I honestly think it's running better than it ever has before. Could just be in my mind though.

I'm thinking my small oil spot might be cured as well. I don't see anything ready to drip off the trans or a new spot on the garage floor. FINGERS CROSSED.

Still having trouble locating a set of wheels for it. The 270 miles of mud terrain hum made my ears ring for hours.

Another year has gone by and another PA inspection passed. They picked on what is left of my 20 year old OE muffler and cracked brake shoes but otherwise it's in good shape!

Picked up a few accessories; Thule roof rack, diamond cut lights, and taillight guards.

10076842285_76616b7920_z.jpg

10076807844_6c6be52331_z.jpg

Also had it out wheeling a few weeks back, did good as usual except a busted front shock.

9703306437_0dea6b837c_z.jpg

9703281437_9fc30bc5e3_z.jpg

9703322383_83f0b0c0f0_z.jpg

10076939436_f5a4aec3cf_z.jpg

Looks great Todd, except for the broken shock...

Thanks! It was only a minor $25 issue. One of these days I'll get a set of good shocks.

That's a good looking Explorer man. Where'd you get the Thule racks from? My stock racks are worn out.

Back