I'd like to add a booster to my stock HU. How? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'd like to add a booster to my stock HU. How?

jagarundi

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT AWD
I have the premium sound HU (Am/Fm radio,cassette,cd player & changer) along with the stock speakers. The sound is absolute garbage and I'd like to add a booster/eq & a carpeted speaker box to this system. The trouble is, this truck has that damn harness!! Can anyone take me by the hand and go step by step with me in getting this done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

step 1: remove all the stock audio stuff, head unit, speakers, stock sub if you have it... heck rip the wiring out too...
step 2: throw it all in the dumpster, burn it, whatever you want :)
step 3: go car audio shopping
step 4: get everything you want and install/rewire accordingly

:D

Yeah what Dave said.

Tim

There is no reason to keep your head unit stock. Its a piece of crap. I also recommend replacing the whole shabang. Much easier this way.

davesexplorer said:
step 1: remove all the stock audio stuff, head unit, speakers, stock sub if you have it... heck rip the wiring out too...
step 2: throw it all in the dumpster, burn it, whatever you want :)
step 3: go car audio shopping
step 4: get everything you want and install/rewire accordingly

:D

Good advice! I'll just rip out the stock HU and CUT the wires out of the harness so that I can put a REAL sound system in.

Thats the ticket...

and I detect no sarcasm whatsoever.... :D

Back