• Register Today It's free!

idle speed

megadeth

Reaction score
City, State
cincinnati,oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 navajo
Ok i just had to replace my tensioner pulley and went ahead and relaced belt now my idle went up to a steady 8000 its running great but don't know if idle is ok or not. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can sustain and 8000 RPM and not blow up, then you need to take that truck racing.

If it's 800, then you are perfect.

800is high i would say more around 400-500 or lower

Ok meant 800 long day lol just looked at my post realized what i put

It's fine. If it drives ok & doesn't surge I'd leave it alone.

I would lower it.high idle causes excessive heat in the trans and wear on brakes.its a simple allen screw to lower,5sec job

800 would be a bit high with an auto trans, that's why some people have suggested you lower it, they tend to run better around 500 as JD said. And obviously with the content of his second post he thinks you have an auto. But, Manual Trans trucks are supposed to idle a bit higher then that, 700-800, so I wouldn't change a thing if I were you. If you do want to turn it down a hair there is an idle set screw on the TB.

Yea guess i should have asked if it was auto or 5speed and if 800 was in gear?either way its high

He has a 5 speed so i am wrong about some of my state meants,i would still turn it down just a little if its a dd.

My 5 speed idles around 700-800.

Yea guess i should have asked if it was auto or 5speed and if 800 was in gear?either way its high

Since he didn't specifically state which one I checked out his vehicle specs and, LO AND BEHOLD: he actually filled them out, lol. Wish more people with less then 100 posts had that info filled out, so often people don't give enough information about their truck when asking a question.

Since he didn't specifically state which one I checked out his vehicle specs and, LO AND BEHOLD: he actually filled them out, lol. Wish more people with less then 100 posts had that info filled out, so often people don't give enough information about their truck when asking a question.

haha thats how i found out too;)

Sorry didn't put more info i was at hospital for 8 hours that day waiting for my grandson to be born long day. Yes. Its 5 speed also have bbk tb just curious about sudden idle change.

Back