If you could rebuild your 5.0....

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
What would you uppgrade? Heads, cam, intake, stroke it, etc.

I'm at 133K on the 5.0 and I know eventually it will need a rebuild, just curious what you guys would do if you could pick up a JY engine and have your way with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol. Oh boy do you really want to know!?

And if you are waiting for that 5.0 to give it up shortly after 133k then you better start feeding it sand to hurry up the process!

I would do all of the above!! Obviously, if you saw my crazy build. You will benefit the most from a nice cam correctly paired with a high flow set of aluminum heads. With hardened push rods and roller rockers. And don't forget the torque monster headers.

what andrew said. but in reality, what i would do is concentrate on the short block. get the cam, pistons, and figure out if you want to just bore it, or go stroker. you can add heads, or a intake later on in life, because to me at least, those are bolt on things that dont require you to pull the motor.

keep in mind though that if you decide to stroke it you should stay away from a stock block. I agree with Tim though, get the lower end built with out regrets and you can always change the top end later.

If it where me I would have to compromise on power, and reliability. Probably a cam, heads, but nothing crazy, I think I would possibly get a tune, and some Torque Monster headers. Very sensible, it would be much cheaper then going crazy, I could still run 87, and get many thousands of miles out of it with no issue.

lol. Oh boy do you really want to know!?

And if you are waiting for that 5.0 to give it up shortly after 133k then you better start feeding it sand to hurry up the process!

I would do all of the above!! Obviously, if you saw my crazy build. You will benefit the most from a nice cam correctly paired with a high flow set of aluminum heads. With hardened push rods and roller rockers. And don't forget the torque monster headers.

I don't expect it to give up the ghost anytime soon, I've had two 5.0's with way more miles then this one. I'm just curious what you guys think because it's something I think about.

I did a mustang cam, valve springs and headers. Whole new truck.

Balance and blueprint and mod the oiling system also.

How is low end torque with that cam?

Avg. My mountaineer prolly weigh 6k and has 33s. It outs runs my stock one in the low end, but comes to life around 3000.
Would not suggest the mustang cam for low end. I like mine because its drivable and it has power when i get in it. I don't tow anything, its just a toy,

I'm sitting right around 245K!

Subscribing!!! :popcorn:

im at 180k on my 5.0

looks like i will have this motor for quite some time!

The mustang guys have been making near or at the 300rwhp mark with gt40/gt40p heads for some time. I would freshen up the short block, maybe do some mild work on the heads, add a cam, port the lower intake, custom exhaust, build a mild setup for good low/mid range power on the street.

Horsepower isn't my worry.. I want to make super amounts of torque... so whatever would increase that I guess... I have no idea what's needed... I haven't looked into it yet.. but once I've got my SAS/SOA done, then I'm gonna find a 2000 V8 to rebuild and then swap them over... even tho my engine only has 180k kms on it..

Si

a decent cam, headers, better flowing exhaust would help with the low/mid range torque, of course a 331 or 347 stroker would definitely help add torque.

Balanced and blueprinted reciprocating mass.
Blueprinted oil pump.
Crank girdle.
10:1 + compression pistons
Extreme enrgy cam (264) and roller lifter, rockers.
MSD
In a dream world, find somebody to fab a custom elbow and larger throttle body.
Oh, and if you are footing the bill, a strocker/overbore.

I would:

Trick Flow Heads
Trick Flow Intake & TB
Custom Cam
Roller Rockers
TMH
and Nitrous....3 stages.....50, 100 and 150
Fuel System Upgrades..

Wait....that IS what I did....

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A turbo would really help increase torque, but you would need to upgrade your fuel system, and have a custom tune.

Back