I'm beggin' ya, please help! SRS light randomly coming on in 99 XLT. Code 36? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm beggin' ya, please help! SRS light randomly coming on in 99 XLT. Code 36?

Bryan2k1

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer SOHC
I have a 99 XLT with 85,000 miles on it. Recently, the SRS (airbag) light has been coming on randomly in the following pattern:

3 blinks, pause
6 blinks, long pause

It does this 3 times, then stays solid. I assume it's code 36, but I don't know what that is or what it means. The dealership wants $72/hr just to tell me what the code is, as if they don't know. Can anyone help?!

Help meeeeeeeee.... :( ;)

Code 36 is a general code to denote a problem with the driver side air bag circuit. It could be shorted or have an out-of-tolerance resistance. As much as you may hate to hear it, this is something that is probably best left to the dealer for troubleshooting. They have a special diagnostic tool (this is not the OBD code reader) which plugs into the system that reads any stored codes and also gives more specific information than the flashing SRS light does (there can be a number of different conditions which can cause the same SRS code). Also, when any troubleshooting of the airbag system is done, it is necessary to disconnect the airbags and hook up airbag simulators. This is to prevent the accidential deployment of an airbag during troubleshooting.

Mine was a bad driver's side air bag sensor at 89K

Back