• Register Today It's free!

I'm done....time to sell

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
This 97 has been absolutely killing me, repair after repair after repair. While I'm sure the SOHC is now a perfectly good engine, I would seriously have second thoughts about buying another one after this experience. New tranny, new transfer case, rear chain AND front chain noise, reparied rear diff...all of this before 154K miles and it has been meticulously maintained. I just can't take it any more. If this were my first ford (thank god it's not...EVERY make has its bad eggs), it would definitely be my last. Thinking about pushing it into the ocean at this point. AARRRGGHHHH!!!!
Now that my rant is over, I am looking to buy a 98-01 V8 X as I have heard those things are just about bulletproof. Good ol' 3.02, you just can't go wrong with em. Anywho, found a 98 Eddie with a V8 and 120K miles that I might just pick up. Anything I should watch out for besides the leaking exhaust manifolds and blend door issues???
Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear this. I hope mine does not have these problems, almost 126,000.

I'm sorry to hear this too. Sure hope my 98 doesnt do that to me. I've got 95000 on it

i feel thesame way about my old boat. Bust Out Another Thousand. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've had two 5.0 Xs now and so far so good

my father had an eddie bauer exactly like the one you mentioned. only problem he had was the blend door malfunctioning, and also the radio display was blank, worked fine, but went blank. i think i read it was a overheated board.

anyways, i loved it. he offered it to me and stupidly i refused it. i say go for it, he did regular maintenance on it and it never gave him a problem. only reason he sold it was because he started traveling for work and they offered to buy him a Jaguar. go for it man, yo uwon't be dissapointed.

also, he got on average 24 miles a gallon on the highway and around 20 in city. but we never ran it hard. so it's decent on gas.

Yeah, my brother has a 97 V8 with 148K miles, rarely does oil changes (and with crap oil too! ), has NEVER done a tranny flush ( :eek: ), drives it like a bat out of hell and that thing has never once let him down. He complained that his GEM croaked after 140K miles....damn impressive in my opinion.
UtahX and zonianbrat- I hope your rigs hold up well too! I had heard the 97s were the worst and I picked up an early 97 X so I had it coming I suppose.
BOAT- lol, yeah, that describes my car to a tee. ;)
I'm thinking I might just swing by and take a look at the eddie.
Thanks guys

Back