I'm no mechanic, but... Spark Plug Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm no mechanic, but... Spark Plug Help

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
0713071515.jpg

I popped the boot off of the spark plug and thats what was there...
I tried using the socket wrench to take it out but it's in there pretty solidly. I'm no Arnold but I can give the thing a pretty good tug and it doesn't want to move... I want to try to put some WD-40 or something in there to try to loosen it up but I'm a little hesitant seeing as how the spark plug makes sparks and WD-40 is the weapon of choice of the amateur pyro. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PB Blaster is your best bet. It runs about $5 for a can at most parts stores.

PB Blaster is definitely the best of the penetrating oils. Not sure it will help much in this case seeing as a spark plug seals when installed properly.

Make sure the motor is completely cooled before you try and take the plugs out. If they've been in for a looonngg time, they may be difficult to break free.

Impact wrench on a spark plug?:eek: Not on one of my vehicles!

i was just using a straight up spark plug socket... i was using a wrench that was about 8 inches long. im just gonna let the car sit overnight and get as cold as its gonna and then try in the morning i think

Pb blaster works great. I changed mine at 100k and they were original. Autozone makes a t-handle sparkplug remover with a swivel joint on it worked good for me... Hope it goes well!!

An impact wrench is not a good idea, these are aluminum heads and it's very easy to strip the threads out. It sounds like these plugs were installed a lot tighter than they should have been to begin with. The manual calls for torquing them from 7lbs to 15lbs max. This is on a 95 X.

I seriously doubt any penetrating oil is going to help much since it's the job of the plugs to give a good seal, but it's worth a try.

If you can get the plug to loosen just a little bit then I would soak it in penetrating oil. Then instead of just removing the plug work with it a little bit at a time, Loosen it a little then run it back in a little and keep using the penetrating oil.

Breaking the plug is no big deal but the last thing you want to do is strip the threads in the head. You will be looking at removing the head to repair it.

I didn't want to suggest a blow torch, so I mentioned the impact gun. The air powered ones are very powerful, so I understand your concern about ruining the head. Those small battery powered cordless ones don't put out as much power. I didn't recommend continuously pounding it with the gun, but just try it for a few seconds. I should have been more specific. I know that it's possible to ruin the head with a breaker bar too if it's really seized in there. What about trying to tighten, and loosen it? It might break it free from the twisting action.

Never, never, never put an impact wrench on a spark plug.

I should have mentioned too when installing new plugs in an aluminum head use anti seize compound on the threads, that will help prevent this problem in the future.

Well, I just spent the better part of 4 hours changing the plugs and wires in my buddy's '98 Sport. Plugs and wires were probably in for well over 100k miles. NO IMPACT WRENCH NEEDED! Lotsa swear words and some serious muscle to get 'em out because they were in really tight, but we got it done Needed to use the breaker bar on several, but they all came out. Middle plug on the passenger's side was by far the worst. Ended up pulling the tranny dipstick tube loose, the air filter and the filter base tray out to get access. Rear plug on passenger's side is easy if you crawl under the vehicle and go up between the frame rail and the splash guard.

Pensa, you're right...anti-sieze on ANY threaded object (excluding head bolts) going into an aluminum component.

Brooklyn, trying to drive the plug in to break it free will most likely shear it off or strip the head. Plugs are design to seal when properly torqued, and with an aluminum head, you're just asking for trouble. Wait 'till the motor is cold so that you don't have an expansion problem, and ease 'em out with a breaker bar if necessary. Besides..you ain't gonna get an impact wrench to where most of the passenger's side plugs are. VERY short extensions and wobble head ratchets are the trick.

yea so i got it out. decided 6 hours was enough to eliminate any expansion issues. i pretty much just sat there and pulled on it until it loosened. i put autolite double platinums in to replace the motorcraft plugs and im going to change the wires when i get a chance, they are sitting in the trunk.

Back