I'm researching and i don't understand | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm researching and i don't understand

luis_lapray

Reaction score
City, State
Chihuahua
Year, Model & Trim Level
EDDIE BAUER 1993 2WD
I'm researching and i don't understand:(.
what's the diference between the TTB and I-beam suspensions (explorer 1g), and the Torsion Bar, and small A-arm suspension (explorer 95+).
What is more comfortable and more safe:roll:?.
I write this question because I wrote a question about the safe in ford explorer and Spdrcer34 answer to me this diferences in the suspensions but i don't have idea what's mean this.
I have a explorer 93 2wd and the suspension is felT hard.

I looking some pics but i don't found anything

ALL THANKS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not sure if that helps out or if thats for sure what you are looking for but that site has a lot of info and specs on the dana 35 ttb axle.

the ttb is for 4x4 models..i beam for 2wd and they changed them in 95 for a reason (the whole firestone incident wasnt just the tires)

the ttb is for 4x4 models..i beam for 2wd and they changed them in 95 for a reason (the whole firestone incident wasnt just the tires)

Now that is just way wrong. The torsion suspension of 95+ had the Firestone tires & the problems. Not 1 incident came from a 1st gen 91-94.

The whole Firestone deal has been beaten to death. IMO the issue was Ford sold 4x4 SUVs to soccer moms/dads who drove them like cars instead of the trucks they are. This lead to unsafe driving which led to rollovers which some fancy lawyer argued was because of poor design... In this day and age it seems no one is accountable for their actions and everything is sue sue sue.

Take a bicycle for example.. how many kids have taken spill riding one? It could be argued that it was poorly designed ;)

Take a bicycle for example.. how many kids have taken spill riding one? It could be argued that it was poorly designed ;)

Did it have Firestone tires? :D

I was looking at the rollover site this morning actually. See anything suspicious about this picture?

Explorer%20Rollover.jpg

Rollovers

I still remember my ex rollover very well. It was a day of light drizzle and I traveling east on a hiway a car on the right failed to stop in time for the stop sign and slid into the intersection. I had been watching it happen and i moved more towards the left crossing into the oncoming lane( there was no other traffic) as I was still slowing up from 55, I got down to 30-40 mph and saw she would cross into the oncoming lane also so I stepped harder on the brakes and the back end came around so fast I didn't know what to think. I slid side ways down through the intersection missing the car( I would have t-boned it), missed the stop sign on the left side of the ditch and slid down the edge of the road sideways. One of the back tires rolled off the bead and over it went slowly until I was resting upside down on the roof. I didn't get hurt but the seat belt dangle is a funny feeling. After my mind started working again I shut it off (it was still running), got my seat belt unlocked and because the doors had locked I had to crawl over the seats to get out the back. Didn't break any glass until the wrecker wrecked it getting it back on its wheels. All I got out of it was two scratches and a pocket full of glass from who knows where and very weak knees. I think it was a 93 maybe a 94( It was a few years ago), now I am back driving a 91 now but do not quite trust it in the rain yet, I still have flash backs and I don't want to test my gaurdian angels again:)

hello,
Then what is more confortable or safe in explorer 1g the TTB or the I beam?, because one of them have a high gravity center.
in the 1g .
I thought that the 1g is more stable in highway that the explorer 2g
thanks for all and see you later.
excuse me for answer too later.

IMHO....a 1st gen suspension setup is more stable in all areas. I throw mine around pretty good & never felt it was unsafe. It's not the most comfortable though.
Also sounds like you have a problem trusting high center of gravity vehicles
Maybe you should stick to a car or car based suv's.

yes, you are razon, this suspension isn't comfortable, but isn't uncomfortable, because is a little hard.
in 2g this suspencion change, is a comfortable but is a little unsafe.
I'm asking this because this is my first SUV. and I'VE HEARD someone things bad about this, but I drive in freeway to max 100 km/h(62 m/h) to avoid a roll over.
thanks for your comments.

Did it have Firestone tires? :D

I was looking at the rollover site this morning actually. See anything suspicious about this picture?

Explorer%20Rollover.jpg
The tire that blew was the spare. Which was most likely way under inflated.

hello mike, you said that suv rollover because the tire is under inflated, They change the tire and not check the spare tire. this is a comMon problem the most of the people check the tire inflated, but forget check the spare.
What do we to do to avoid the rollover if the tire blew out?,
avoid to brake and turn steering wheel.
thanks. and I hope that everybody have a good new year

I believe that the tire pressure issue was the biggest culpret. Ford recommended like 24-psi, cause it made it ride nice. I usually run about 35-psi on the street, it is a truck.
The above post states tire lost the bead, too low a pressure.

The other culpret was excessive heat in the tire, from to low a pressure and too much weight. The Explorer suspension wasn't defective, the recommendations for its use was the problem, a marketing decision, not an engineering decision.

Back