Importance of vehicle being level for oil change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Importance of vehicle being level for oil change?

TXScott

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Got tired of lube techs spilling oil on the engine and using the cheapest possible oil filter, not to mention the time they left the air filter box open after checking the filter. Anyway, going to change my oil at home, but do not have a fancy 4-point lift or a coffin pit in my garage. Only have two jack stands to put my vehicle up on so was wondering how important is it to have the vehicle level when changing the oil?

Since the vehicle will be "nose up" if I place both jack stands near the front wheels, I considered it may even be slightly advantageous when draining the old oil. Obviously, I would put the vehicle down before filling/checking the new oil to get an accurate dipstick reading.

Thoughts or caveats?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Scott. My dealership does all my oil changes so I have no idea where the oil pan drain is. I would guess that you would get the majority of the oil out the way you described. When you have most of it out, is it possible to remove the jack stands to level the vehicle out and then raise it again?

Peter

it doesn't matter, remove the filter while the plug is out on the pan, a little more oil will drain into the pan once removed.....all engines have some oil left in them from an oil change and it doesn't matter, the percentage of oil left vs. new oil is negligible.

The drain should be in the back of the pan. No problem lifting the vehicle up the little bit that's needed to get to it.

For my model(in profile), the drain bolt is on the passenger side, just inside of the belt path and too far to reach without getting under the vehicle! It is oriented on a vertical plane, facing towards the rear.(Transmission fluid drain bolt, by contrast, is easily reachable without raising the vehicle and is horizontally oriented, facing down)
Hi Scott. My dealership does all my oil changes so I have no idea where the oil pan drain is. I would guess that you would get the majority of the oil out the way you described. When you have most of it out, is it possible to remove the jack stands to level the vehicle out and then raise it again?

Peter

Lift up the passenger side and take the wheel off. The drain bolt is right there 15mm socket. With the passenger side jacked up it makes getting to the filter easier anyway. Access the filter by going in straight under the bumper

The oil drain plug faces the back of the vehicle. With the nose off the ground a little via jack stands or better yet driveway ramps it should actually drain out better than being flat on a lift. Thats the advantage of a transverse engine over a longitudinal engine. I always pull the dipstick up to help burp it out as well.

You will never get 100% of the old oil out of the engine. Think about all the oil passages and little pockets that will hold the old oil.

I also put my Explorer up on ramps, I'll drain the oil and refill without a worry about the old oil.

Got tired of lube techs spilling oil on the engine and using the cheapest possible oil filter, not to mention the time they left the air filter box open after checking the filter. Anyway, going to change my oil at home, but do not have a fancy 4-point lift or a coffin pit in my garage. Only have two jack stands to put my vehicle up on so was wondering how important is it to have the vehicle level when changing the oil?

Since the vehicle will be "nose up" if I place both jack stands near the front wheels, I considered it may even be slightly advantageous when draining the old oil. Obviously, I would put the vehicle down before filling/checking the new oil to get an accurate dipstick reading.

Thoughts or caveats?
Nearly all oil pans, in my experience, are designed to drain them with the vehicle level or the nose up in the air using ramps, jack stands, etc.

You will never get 100% of the old oil out of the engine. Think about all the oil passages and little pockets that will hold the old oil.

I also put my Explorer up on ramps, I'll drain the oil and refill without a worry about the old oil.

and thats where a good quality oil filter comes in

change the filter before you put back the drain plug, Pop the dip stick, let air in while draining. Ok to fill up on jack stands, add 5 qts.
Fill the filter before you check the level. Once car is level, Crank the engine without starting. On a Ford, push both Brake and Gas peddle to the floor and start the engine. It should crank, but not start, hold for about 10 to 15 seconds. Then release the gas peddle, should start. then shutdown the engine and check the level. you may need to add a half a quart, as the 3.5l takes 6 quarts total with the filter.

Honestly, I'm able to change mine without lifting the vehicle. After you do it once, you will feel more comfortable removing/installing the oil filter by feel. If you need an oil filter wrench to remove the filter, it was likely overtightened. Installing the new filter should always be done by hand.

I use an old aluminum steam tray (think food sternos) for my drain pan. Usually gives me a much larger catch area than typical cheap oil collection pans from the auto store.

Also, since you are going to do it yourself, invest the couple extra bucks for full synthetic. You will see the difference after about two oil changes when most of the dirty old oil is rinsed out.

Good Luck.

Edited to add that decent nitrile gloves on amazon are cheap and keep your hands clean.

I have a hard enough time getting under my Explorer when it is up on ramps to take the drain plug out and put it back in. But I have gotten to the oil filter with it on the ground.

But you also have to consider the newer Explorer that have the air dam under them, I'd hate to try to remove and reinstall it properly with the Explorer sitting on the ground.

The location of the oil filter on the 4.6L 3V engines can be a PITA to get to and having the vehicle on ramps makes removing and replacing a good bit easier. Changing the oil and filter in my wife's 2015 Edge with the 3.5L is very easy but it has to be on ramps. Changing the oil in my 2007 Mustang GT is done at a lube place because it it slammed so low to the ground that I can't get a floor jack under it. I supply the filter though because what they use is crap and spec Mobil 1.

Absolutely! Ensuring your vehicle is level during an oil change is more about accuracy than a critical factor. Having it slightly inclined won't significantly affect the oil draining process. The key is to maintain safety and accessibility. Placing both jack stands near the front wheels should be fine, just remember to be cautious while working under the vehicle. Always ensure the car is securely supported and use wheel chocks for added safety. After draining the oil and before filling, level the car to get an accurate dipstick reading. Also check Best Oil for Duramax Diesel Engines [FAQs, Top Picks & More] – Moto Deets, I think this info will be quite useful.

The location of the oil filter on the 4.6L 3V engines can be a PITA to get to and having the vehicle on ramps makes removing and replacing a good bit easier. Changing the oil and filter in my wife's 2015 Edge with the 3.5L is very easy but it has to be on ramps. Changing the oil in my 2007 Mustang GT is done at a lube place because it it slammed so low to the ground that I can't get a floor jack under it. I supply the filter though because what they use is crap and spec Mobil 1.
Just make your own ramps with a couple of 2x6 pieces, my Cobra is the same way, it doesn't take much to get it up enough to get the jack under the k-member. No way I'd let some random dude change my oil and risk screwing up the oil pan threads.

Just make your own ramps with a couple of 2x6 pieces, my Cobra is the same way, it doesn't take much to get it up enough to get the jack under the k-member. No way I'd let some random dude change my oil and risk screwing up the oil pan threads.
I've always had the oil change service performed at the dealership for as long as I can remember and have never had an issue.

Peter

I've always had the oil change service performed at the dealership for as long as I can remember and have never had an issue.

Peter
Most people take their vehicle somewhere like Jiffy Lube. My sister took her Mini there and they completely forgot to hook the intake piping on. Not a big deal since the filter is up near the intake manifold, but I was still pissed. However even dealerships can screw up sometimes, would rather save my self some time and money by just do it myself. Especially since an oil and filter change is one of the most easiest things you can do.

My 2007 has a lot of Steeda suspension parts so I would rather drive it over the pit and get it done without jacking it up. The place I frequent has a lot of gearheads working there and they are pretty good about doing things right. Plus, I am not that **** about an oil change being done since it happens rarely. I change the oil every 5k miles which equates to about once every two years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2007 has a lot of Steeda suspension parts so I would rather drive it over the pit and get it done without jacking it up. The place I frequent has a lot of gearheads working there and they are pretty good about doing things right. Plus, I am not that **** about an oil change being done since it happens rarely. I change the oil every 5k miles which equates to about once every two years.
Gotcha, finding a place you trust is sometimes hard these days.

Back