Improving Gas Mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Improving Gas Mileage

JoJoTirePro

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Recently just bought a 2001 2 door Ford Explorer Sport, has the SOHC 4.0L v6, 4x4. Overall pretty satisfied with the vehicle except I was just wondering if anybody knows anything at all to do to boost the MPG just a bit? I know it's a long shot just seeing if anyone has any simple things to do to help out.

There is a lot on here about saving gas with these pigs.

I noticed a difference with an electric fan but I dont have any numbers to show for it since I can rarely get a full tank of gas. Headers and a free flowing exhaust helps, open up the air box a little, use synthetic fluids, keep it maintained, and lower it a couple inches are all things that I have read about. The biggest improvement can be made by your driving style. Do a search for Aldive and look into some of the things he did.

Low hanging fruit would be:

1 - Make sure A/C compressor isn't running (it will run all the time in all vent modes, except VENT and FLOOR only)
2 - Keep your tires aired up to at least 35 psi
3 - Lower the front an inch or two using the torsion bar adjustment. Note you will need an alignment if you do this. You will also want to trim your bumpstops to allow a bit more travel
4 - Synthetic motor oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, and front/rear differential oil. Each gives 1-2% improvement in fuel economy - it adds up
5 - Tune up, of course

What kind of fuel economy are you getting?

For reference, my 98 XLT 4.0 OHV/5-speed 4x4 has averaged about 18 mpg since purchase. My 2000 Sport 4.0 OHV/5-speed 2wd has averaged 20.62 mpg over its lifetime (tracked for 60,000 miles).

A lot of folks insist the SOHC is a more fuel efficient motor than the OHV although I personally believe otherwise.

Back