• Register Today It's free!

In need of psychiatric help?!

Tif0ez

Reaction score
City, State
Charleroi, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
So, as the title suggests, I think I am going crazy, and I'll try to make this as short as possible explanation as to why..

So, we live just roughly 20 minutes South of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, last summer we bid $303 on a boat on ebay in Sheboygan, Wisconsin.. A week later I got a notification that ours was the winning bidder.. HAHA..

Ok, so.. Road trip ;)
https://scontent.***c1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54728288_1235857849906257_6420416962907602944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-2.fna&oh=105bb36c3160758bdbe5477bc4c16f13&oe=5D081D8B

We have no regrets on any of it, had an absolute blast!! The only issue that I am having with this boat, is the lack of maintenance on the engines and the drives.. I know the twin Chrysler 360s and the Luhrs made fiberglass is not usually something you would see on our forum..

https://scontent.***c1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54727385_1235853966573312_1313413617730715648_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-2.fna&oh=4c7a02e72ddff048770890a94c6fdf61&oe=5D0E56DD

Here comes the reason that I post on our boards.. This is not an option or a plan that will change, however, build progress will "as always" depend on the availability of the donor parts and the time to put foot to ass..

https://scontent.***c1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54524480_1235854036573305_8489413038510702592_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-2.fna&oh=300a5fca9d2c6cd92730e2f2cb4c9c4f&oe=5D46303D

I am 36, but the moment I can find all of the donor parts, our boat the Journey, will need to be renamed the "Serious Twin Explorer" to represent the twin 5.0 that'll be dropped in her hull..
I'm not writing this as a thread to acquire the information, due to our current project of swapping the 5.0 into an '02 Sport Trac we were able to figure out how to run the 5.0 "stand alone" and NEED this in our lives..

Just to be a smart ass I will be looking for the '98 expos that way I can wire in the PATS B and have a **** alarm on a boat..

I realize this will be a "teaser" until I can snag the donor parts, but I had this dream last night and can't shake it.. I've already built the boat in my head, from bow to stern, over and over.. and over..

For now, she has safely taken our family from Sheboygan, WI to Peoria, Ill, & roughly 300 water miles (not straight there)..

https://scontent.***c1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54519492_1235853889906653_1418845826372861952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.***c1-2.fna&oh=3e83c0200800954b149539c37c6c1fd5&oe=5D0FBD4D

As comical as this seems, this project IS going to happen, and anyone wanting to help can contact me directly, I'm sure when the budget is ready I'll need our spread out community to search for the donors..
And anyone who puts time into this build will automatically have a "free passage" ticket aboard!!

I'm not certain about how Youtube rules will force me to publish the videos, but I intend on promoting our forum, and the ability to modify the Explorer to the audience.. We have GREAT people here, and I know my kidd is getting to the age of finding hobbies, and vehicle builds/modifications is imo one of the best because everyone wants a vehicle, and drools on the next persons..

Lastly, even though the weather keeps playing tricks on us, the warm weather and nice nights are upon us, drag those builds out and find your motivation to turn those wrenches, be safe in what you do, never forget that anything is possible, and follow your dreams!!
Sincerely, Thank You, to EVERYONE, on EF!!
~Robbie~

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that’s a lot of boat for $303!!

Agree. $303 may be enough to fill the empty fuel tank(s). BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand. ;)

Agree. $303 may be enough to fill the empty fuel tank(s). BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand. ;)
Beat me to it..
This should be a fun thread.

That is a heck of a boat for the money.

That's a decent eBay score by far :thumbsup:

As stout as the 5.0s are, for a marine application, I’d want marine purpose motors.

I agree with Mrbrooks you need mercruiser 302's not Ford 302
Unless I am mistaken, there are several differences between a SBF made for the road and one made for the sea? The mercruiser 5.0 engines have forged internals and in some cases run backwards do they not? Not to mention the water cooled exhaust jackets, carbuertators, etc
Please correct me if I am wrong, I am by no means a boat expert I merely dabble in them

You need to match crank rotation to the outdrive. The valve train in marine motors is very different. Marine motors are like building a 10 mile drag car, as opposed to a 1/4 mile car. Loads on marine motors is extreme, and forged internals, especially for a large heavy boat, are required.

I had a marine converted big block in my El Camino, and it required installing a different cam and automotive heads, and intake. It’s easier to convert marine to auto, than the other way around.

Best thing to do would be to stick with the two 360's and freshen them up, provided they are still in good working order. I say this because you can spend your money on better parts for the engine itself instead of having to buy new engines, and then spend more money on converting. like stated above, a marine engine is a different animal than a street engine. A marine engine not only has to be protected from the salt water, but built to live in a high RPM,high load work condition, and since you already have two marine 360's to start with (not a bad engine) all you need to do is put icing on the cake, so to speak.

I totally understand all of that, and respect and value everyone here, with that said, I'm sure something will prevent me from just taking two 5.0 expos and tosing them in, making the drives work, the reverse rotation on the starboard, cooling them, and all the while making sure it stays in USCG regulations..

Vehicles and mods can expire in an afternoon accident, it's really hard to completely destroy a boat, so our boat is our floating retirement home & can take the next 20 years to build.. As far as the way technology is heading, I'll have to convert her to solar & generators before I can pick up the first 5.0 donor..

As far as goin LS or keeping the twin Chryslers, I just won't.. As far as using marine engines, I will have to hybrid and modify a bunch, but in the end, she WILL be 5.0'd & CG compliant..

Or end up with a really loud driveway toy..

Just start with two tired mercruisers and refresh them. 5.0s have been in marine use since the late 60s. You’ll be light years ahead of what you’d manage trying to cobble together Explorer 5.0s into it.

Ok, let me clarify a few aspects.. I will have to go marine grade 5.0 engines, as well as stay in uscg compliance with how the systems are integrated..
When I say I'm gonna "stuff twin explorers" in it, I am basically referring to enough of the PATS to prevent the engines from starting if not "unlocked" with the key fob or door # keypads, as well as the sounding of the horn when "armed" haha!!
At this stage I am even considering wiring the door mirror puddle lamps into leds so that we have brief ambient lighting to board & reach the panel to turn the interiors on..

And just to be clear, this project will NOT see any solid axles or 5-speed swaps, I'm not intending on using THAT much from the explorers..

Back