• Register Today It's free!

Incredible engine ticking sound

meatwad

Reaction score
City, State
Lees Summit, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB
First off I want to say thank you for anyone reading my post and even more thanks to whoever offers advice!

My knowledge on engines is pretty lacking, just to be honest.

I have a 98 Explorer with the V8. I just changed the oil and put a new filter on it. The next day I drove about 30 miles somewhere and stayed the night. Drove another 30 the next day on the way home and about 3/4 of the way home I instantly heard a clicking sound. Oil read half and reads that way today. Some oil was in the driveway.

Since then (over 2 weeks ago) I have taken the truck to one repair shop and one friend, both said it's a rod.

When it first starts it ticks. The ticking gets incredibly fast as I accelerate, but then stops ticking when off the gas, ticks again on idle.

I still have full power and it idles perfectly. Nothing came up telling me it was low oil pressure.

THANKS again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I did it myself....

hmmm am I up the creek? I just found a how to on getting to it, but it's a bit outta my level of expertise heh.

Wouldn't it make more of a rattling sound though?

It ticks in idle and continues to get faster with more power, but silences when I let off the throttle.

1 more edit

The check engine light came on but the manual said not to worry until I take it the next time and I called a mechanic shop and they said the same thing. I was going to have it checked out when I went for a tune up but that was about 2,500 miles ago.

Thanks bud, I'll take her up tomorrow. I'll keep coming back with updates.

I'll buy some detergent to see if that helps...

I'll buy some detergent to see if that helps...

Eh what? Don't go putting random fluids in your crankcase to chase down a problem!

Yea... don't go adding stuff yet. THE ONLY oil additive I would ever put in a motor is Lucas.

Don't go adding it yet. Lets chase down the problem first.

Make sure when they give you the code, ask them for the number of the code(s) then come back here and tell us.

I second the valve ticking. Since it's doing it at idle, use the stethoscope/screwdriver at ear method to pin down the source. I'm guessing it'll be louder over one of the valve covers.

Are you saying that after only 60 miles on a fresh oil change the level was down to halfway on the stick?

Could be exhaust manifold leak/ broken egr tube because it is a V8.

Yeah it was leaking oil in the driveway and then I checked the oil a few days later and it was half, but I had not driven it since I brought it home.

Family crisis going on but I'll take it up in the next couple of hours when I have someone to follow me haha.

Edit

egr tube would make sense as the check engine light was on for some time... I guess I'll find out soon! (hopefully ha)

Ok upon further inspection I guess maybe the "ticking" is a little of a "rattle" now... definitely feel like it's from the bottom back end, but not totally sure. She still idles/revs great.

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bawkz)

Edit

Just added another quart of oil and the noise isn't as prevalent when I give it gas... the extra oil definitely had an effect on the sound.

Edit

It did have this gnarly squeaking sound months ago when the engine light came on... no longer a squeaking sound.

Could be exhaust manifold leak/ broken egr tube because it is a V8.

I sure wish I could hear this. Curious which brand oil filter you used?

The cam sensor fault could be due to low battery voltage, so I wouldn't get too worried about it yet.

The catalyst code would possibly support a cracked exhaust manifold issue.

Oil read half and reads that way today. Some oil was in the driveway.

Are you saying that after only 60 miles on a fresh oil change the level was down to halfway on the stick?

Yeah it was leaking oil in the driveway and then I checked the oil a few days later and it was half, but I had not driven it since I brought it home.

I did not notice this was a V8. To clarify please answer each of these:

1. What was the original oil level, I assume you topped it off when you performed the oil change?
2. Is the oil leak in the driveway new?
3. Park it in a different part of the drive way and top off the oil to MAX on the dipstick. Run it and let it sit to see if you are actively loosing oil.

Sometimes if you aren't paying attention the O-ring on the old oil filter will stick to the filter mount. If you put a new filter on top of that old ring the new O-ring won't seal.

It was about 3/4 when I changed it. It has always been missing a little oil here and there. My father left the old o-ring on his truck and had a monster leak so we made sure that would not happen to me.

There is no new oil in the driveway and I had to park in a different spot.

So it was originally 3/4 full and when you did the oil change you filled it to MAX?

I checked the oil a few days later and it was half

Losing 1/2 a quart of oil in a few days is not normal. I'd recommend tracking down oil leaks if the new filter doesn't help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got home with the new filter. I put another quart in like I had said.

I just checked and it IS leaking oil. Directly under the pan and the entire body of the engine is covered in sediment and dark oil...

Also a FRESH oil leak on passenger side front. Entire inside of well is covered in fresh oil and it's dripping out.

Dipstick was clean. No water, no dirt, no metal.

It was very thin oil... like 20% oil 80% water...

Back