Initial throttle stick, then releases... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Initial throttle stick, then releases...

crankybe

Reaction score
City, State
los angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
My fiance has brought a 99 explorer sport 4WD into our lives and I am pretty pleased with it overall. There is one thing that is bugging her/me however, occassionally the accelerator seems to stick when initally pressed and then breaks loose so the vehicle lunges forward. Is this common and if so, is there an easy fix? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 98 did that when it was new. I had gotten into the habit of breaking it loose before starting the engine to avoid the lunge. There was a recall for it about 5 years ago. They replaced the throttle body and I've had no problems with it since.

FWIW, mine does it too. About once a year I have to remove it, de-gunk it, re-lube it, and reinstall it. Works great for about 4 months and starts again.

I had the recall done on it a few years back.... never really made much of a difference. IIRC, the recall was to prevent it from icing in high-humidity though... had nothing to do with sticking off idle.

-Joe

Must be a different issue then...

Attachments

• recall.jpg
    recall.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 185

Thank you all very much for your replies, I really appreciate it. Sorry, I was off-line the past day or I would have thanked you sooner!

My 99 does the same thing. I never got the recall...

Super easy fix. Pull the TB off and clean with TB Cleaner from the auto parts store and your good as new. I do this now about every other oil change and it really keeps it nice and clean.

Back