Input pinion shaft on rear 8.8 wont budge! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Input pinion shaft on rear 8.8 wont budge!

Well done, hard but satisfying I'm sure.
It was definitely F-bomb time when it went with a final, loud *PING* and flew towards the front. The inner bearing race came out a bit easier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now I'm really glad I decided to wirebrush out and desludge the interior! It's full of Ford Fairydust! 🤔

It was a thick gelled layer over all the stationary surfaces in there, and it's got chewed up steel flake throughout.

20220624_220827.jpg

Axle speed sensor removed, cleaned, and new HNBR O-ring to replace the dry and crusty rubber one.

20220624_233700.jpg

I'm thinking of gluing a strong magnet into the diff cover to sequester any metallic debris I may have missed. Good idea or bad idea?

It'll work loose. The axle takes quite a beating .

But you could use a megnetized drain plug, in an aftermarket cover

Even if JB'd? Aftermarket cover isn't a viable option just yet. I've pretty much sunk my last check into this thing.

I wouldn’t. If that thing comes loose, it’ll kill your rear a whole lot faster than some scarf will.

A magnetic drain plug isn't too expensive.

I'm thinking of gluing a strong magnet into the diff cover to sequester any metallic debris I may have missed. Good idea or bad idea?
Get a good strong mag and put it on the outside. It will work

So the rental "bearing and seal driver tool" was total rubbish. Turns out the pucks weren't perfectly round, so the bearing race would go sideways when driving in. Spent the last day or two trying to get it beat in with no luck. This morning before bed i had an idea. Trip to the hardware store for some stainless all-thread rod, washers, and nuts. I used the discs in different positions to better secure the race, ran the rod through all of it with another driver disc at the other end, then used my 1/2" impact tool to squish that dingus in straight! I'm going to have to remember this trick.

20220626_231256.jpg 20220626_231314.jpg

I used a piece of brass round stock
Tap tap tap

Looks good !!

Good idea! I’ll have to try that

Still making progress. Managed to get the pinion depth set, nailed the crush sleeve/pinion preload on the first shot (😮!) backlash set, wheel bearings and axles in, new wheel studs (one was snapped, so didn't trust the others) brakes on... there's just the tiniest bit of in/out play in the axles now, about 2mm. MUCH better than before! The old shims on the diff were allowing the entire diff carrier to move side to side so my play used to be more than .25". Gotta wait for the RTV to cure before I can put in the juice, but things are looking good for a morning test drive/low speed break-in.

20220629_004505.jpg 20220629_005450.jpg

Well done, that's a great feeling when you have it all finished and know it doesn't need anything for years now.

Old diff had so much play, you hit the gas and wait for the rear end to catch up. I also agree it is a great feeling when the project is completed and everything works exactly as it should for years to come.

Update: The fluid is in, test drive went smooth. Drove nearly 20 miles via backroads, and a bit of freeway today. It's so quiet now. I'll have to fix the weatherstripping next as it's now the noisy part! Diff never got above 155-160F the entire time.

Tomorrow is a long-ish drive for work, so I'm hoping everything continues running perfect.

Posting an update: 4000 miles since rebuild and it's still smooth as glass. I do get a momentary squeal under heavy acceleration, so I think I need to tighten a band or two (rebuilt the transmission recently). No leaks anywhere, and everything running great! (Except the AC, but that's a different issue.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did my rear too. Now I hear things I couldn’t hear before….lol

Back